Sony SS-M7 maybe overpriced...I don't know

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Over in Barter Town there is a pair of the M7a with stands for a grand. The discussions in the dumpster dive thread here, you know the one where Nando is holding back on posting pics of his recent theft from his friend, Keith for well below market price on three truck loads of very well kept gear, says these Sony SS speakers are good but not great. If one can buy a very nice set of Dahlquist DQ-10s for a good bit below a grand and they are all that as far as speakers go, world renowned and still very well respected today, seems those Sonys are a bit too high.

For a grand...Dahlquist, maybe even the 20i or 30i along with the 10s plus subs for that money, Magneplanars with real ribbon tweeters, 2.5, 2.6, any of the threes III or 3. whatever. There are plenty of others that might be all that for less than the price of those 7s.

Actually, used speaker prices amaze me at times and maybe I'll talk to that in a later thread...JBL L-100s values are a prime example of a bad sounding speaker getting the bucks from some clueless buyer that just have to have JBL L100s.

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Yeah, I wouldn't call them junk - but not great either. In pristine condition visually, I'd say 800 clams tops.

As far as pricing goes anymore, fuggetaboutit. Little makes sense right now. Everyone and their Mothers are riding 'high' on the inflation train.

NeverSatisfied

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Play the Game, don’t be the Game
The SS-M7’s are very good speakers, I almost bought a pair about 10 years ago for $1500, wasn’t flush at the time so had to pass. Everyone has opinions about various speakers and it is certainly a personal choice but M7’s do most everything well and nothing wrong. If they are in good condition they are certainly worth a grand. Never heard a pair of Dahlquist so can’t say if they are equal but the Sony’s are better than just okay in my opinion. By the way, I have not seen a clean pair with stands for sale for less than a grand in many years and I keep a pretty close eye out on Sony gear.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Everyone and their Mothers are riding 'high' on the inflation train
One thing I see affecting prices is if the company has a new one available. Take those L100s jacked up in price cause the new ones are nearly 4 grand. Similar higher prices on used Klipsch because their heritage line of 4th gen speakers lifts the price of old, used speakers.