Sony S-Master Pro...Fix...or Not?

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
My sister-in-law has a 5.1 + teevee system, and the heart of it is/was her Sony AVD-S500ES. It is a 5.1 digital receiver which includes an SACD/DVD drive in the same chassis. She says it ran for ~12 years, and quit. Pressing the power button lights up only the red standby light, the main blue display does not light, the drive does not turn. There is power somewhere, as the vent fan runs briefly when I activate the power button. The only visible internal fuse is not blown. No controls seem to work.

Any thoughts? Is it some little something, or is it likely to be expen$ive?

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
If you open it up I would bet there is a big ol' amp IC in there or something, but you gotta open it and find out. No warrantee left whatsoever, Sony DAPC (parts/service) farmed that outside again if it's still like I heard a year or two back so service would otherwise go to some authorized service center (read, 12 years old and we ain't got info maybe)...

I assume you did that so there is a relay I would gather that shuts it down for some reason when it encounters whack stuff.

Look for burnt spots on the PCBs, suspect the power supply and ask her how she was using the amp. Stuff like using A and B pairs simultaneously with the surround channels (that might pull the impendence low enough to damage the stereo amp etc, if they run must like the 90s models).

But if you've got that Darlington IC amp pack thing like my old Onkyo DR-90 had look out.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Maybe I'll post a photo later, but taking the top cover off, and examining the entrails, I would not have recognized it as an amp, 5.1 or no. Given the disc drive, I would have assumed it was a high-end CDP.