Sonofabeee!!! And it's outta warranty too!

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Well, seems all that crazy heat we have been having here must have did in my nice ole factory Infinity 6 disc CD/MP3/XM changer. Damn thing won't read any more discs! And yup... even tho MOST stuff is covered 10 years/100K.. the dang radio aint... 3/36K for that!

Guess I'm going to have to see if I still have that old Sony single CD/MP3 deck I pulled out from an earlier car awhile back. I need to do some research tho... From what I understand, the factory deck is really just a head unit. The "amp" is somewhere in the trunk.. and drives all 6 speakers plus the subwoofer on the back lid. Wondering if it has just RCA's I can plug up to the Sony? Amp turnon lead.. where's that at... dunno!

I also am going to need a mod kit... these late model Sonata's have a seriously-proprietary physical design to 'em. Need an adapter, but the overall hole size is for a double DIN. Can't afford a new unit if the Sony will still fit the bill... Definitely have to hit Crutchfield up... those guys pretty much give you all the info you need...

But maaan... aint that the crapper? 6K over the mileage... And WTF anyway?? Do I actually drive ON my radio... what's mileage got to do with it?

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Jer...look up the head. It's not brain salad surgery but you will play it

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Well tonight I pulled the old Sony single disc/MP3 head unit out, and .. whoa.. it actually still works after sitting around for about 5 years. So I'm looking to swap out the factory one with it, as soon as I get all my ducks together. Going to need a special mount kit.. not too bad. Wiring harness - given.

But what's "funky" is with my car, the factory unit does NOT have an amp in it at all - instead, it has an external amp somewhere under the back seat that powers all 6 speakers.

But I'm looking here and there, and from what I see the actual drive signal level from the head unit to the amp isn't what I would assume it to be. No RCA's involved.. which is weird in itself. Plus there's some sort of signal matching unit that Crutchfield is recommending I use.

The Sony has what "makes sense"... actual RCA jacks for L/R, Front and Rear. Hmmm... maybe I'll go back in the closet and get the 60 x 4 amp out that also has been sitting there for 5 years and really go to town?

orange

Tagline
If there's not a Scosche? kit get it wired right. They don't call 6 speakers 2 tweeters in the A piller, two drivers in the front door and 2 in the shelf, do they?

orange

Tagline
PS INFINITY IS HARMAN.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
orange said:
If there's not a Scosche? kit get it wired right. They don't call 6 speakers 2 tweeters in the A piller, two drivers in the front door and 2 in the shelf, do they?
Yeah, I tracked down the mount and harness kits, but Crutchfield is saying I need this here as well...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SOEM4/PAC-SOEM-4.html

Just wondering if I really need it. Others have had success not using it... but I guess it depends on the OEM head unit they are putting in.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Do you have service records? Have you been changing the oil and lubing it on a regular basis? :cyclops: If you have the records, maybe they will cover it?

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Our Kia dealer because we take it there all the time hasn't said one thing about the warranty being out since we are the second owner. They treat us like we are the 1st owners.

Larry

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
jbeckva said:
The warranty states 3 years/36000 miles for the stereo. I'm over 36000 miles...
Good thing you aren't leasing, they'd hit you with a $1 a mile for excess mileage. Maybe you can claim it is a safety or pollution device, then they would cover it much longer. either that or they knew when they were manufacturing them not to warranty them longer than 36 months or 36K

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Well.. figure this tho....

Say you ran down to Best Buy and bought one of those fancy new HT receivers. What do you think the warranty would be on those? Point being I don't think I can complain when I had a 3 year warranty on a piece of electronic equipment - that's rare nowadays you'd even see anything over 1 year.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Yeah, you must have had a bad unit or they are getting too complicated, I have never had a stereo quit working in a car no matter how old it was. :cyclops:

orange

Tagline
I don't even technically HAVE a warranty but the cards are pretty cool![attachment=6:14boyqr7]Vintage Pioneer Unboxing! (22).JPG[/attachment:14boyqr7][attachment=5:14boyqr7]Vintage Pioneer Unboxing! (23).JPG[/attachment:14boyqr7][attachment=4:14boyqr7]Vintage Pioneer Unboxing! (24).JPG[/attachment:14boyqr7][attachment=3:14boyqr7]Vintage Pioneer Unboxing! (24).JPG[/attachment:14boyqr7][attachment=2:14boyqr7]Vintage Pioneer Unboxing! (25).JPG[/attachment:14boyqr7][attachment=1:14boyqr7]Vintage Pioneer Unboxing! (26).JPG[/attachment:14boyqr7][attachment=0:14boyqr7]Vintage Pioneer Unboxing! (27).JPG[/attachment:14boyqr7]

Attachments