Some Pioneer kit for the truck

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Been in contact with a seller who had this gear for sale. We been speaking for some time. I wanted it for my truck but being that the truck was in winter storage I was in no rush to go get. It was about a 40 min drive to pick up the gear but it was nice and sunny, so a good day for a drive.

Pioneer KEH-M7250,

EQ-6500

And a CDX-M30

All with manuals.

For 30 dollars I thought this would be a cool and somewhat era correct"ish" stereo for my ride.

A little chilly today to start the install, but tomorrow should be a bit warmer. Depending on the temp, I might get at it.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Looks like nice stuff picked up cheap Ben, I really dig the old school EQ especially!

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Looks like nice stuff picked up cheap Ben, I really dig the old school EQ especially!
I dig the eq as well Ron. It was the main reason I bought it all. If the cassette doesnt operate as it should I will replace it with Pioneers current cassette deck.

After reading up on these, I am realizing I will need a 4 channel power amp as this head unit is not going to cut it. 15x4 wtf. I have 4 amps in the garage 2 800 watt sony amps, an Alpine V12, and a Fosgate Punch 250. All of them are 2/1, and I dont want to have to upgrade my wiring kit to accommodate 2 big amps. Plus my truck is much too small to start stacking up amps.

Rat44

Journeyman
Nice find.
Let us know how it sounds.
I have a '94 Jeep that needs the stereo replaced and think it would be nice to have a Cassette deck in it.
Always been an Alpine fan but have had a few Pioneers along the way that worked well also.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Cool stuff Nando. Even has original pricing.

What I find funny, is they advertise high power, with a whopping 25x2 or 15x4.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I thought you would get a kick out of the old factory brochures, Ben. I hope that system of yours will give you a few years of fun-listening ahead. Don't forget to pack the old suitcase-style storage case for your tapes in behind the seat.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Well I am certainly far from finished, but today I messed around behind the seat of the truck.

Added in a piece of wood across the back to mount the CD changer and amp. Changer was previously screwed down to the floor tunnel at the back. The amp was just sitting on the floor. I was getting alternator whine from the amp touching the metal of the floor.

The wiring is still kinda messy, but I need to get more wire loom. Only had enough to do the wires on the driver side. This was where the large part of the rats nest was, which is now mostly in loom. I never put a lot of consideration into how much wiring would be back there when I started this.

Not sure Ill have space to add in a sub. Ill be limited to only using 1 sub, as I think 2 just wont fit, as well, Ill need space to mount the amp for the sub.

I also have a 2 Farad Capacitor that when a second amp is in, will need to be installed as well, along with a distribution block. Space is gonna be the deciding factor for all of that though.

Tagline
---
i've a fair little collection of the same magazines as advertised there, -including a JD-M300TP 3-pack- all accoutrements for my 1987 TOTL ELITE PD-M90X magazine changer CDP.

((i have since added a 1986 PD-M6 and 1988 PD-M700, rounding out a TOTL triumvirate of PIONEER's earliest, best made six-disc changer CDPs, before massively cheaping out in 1989 and later models))

Some Pioneer kit for the truck

i might be mistaken, but i believe what you have there is about the last home magazine-compatible car-changer unit PIONEER made
before switching over to car changers based around car-specific magazine designs. why they did that? i haven't the foggiest...

Last edited:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Actually, the Pioneer head unit and eq don't look out of place mounted in the dash of your truck. Our work trucks are Fords, and I swapped in a Pioneer cassette receiver into the 1995 F-250 when the previous head unit crapped out.

Nando.

Tagline
---
it looks fantastic in any case. myself, i'd prefer the original 1987 KEX-M700-based system, but that's just me.
hope this rig (and the truck it is installed in) gives the OP many fine years of service to come...

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Back in the truck again. This Pioneer install has likely been one of the most problematic installs I have had, ever. After dickin around with the 4 channel amp all summer, it still wont behave as it should. Cracked solder joints on the inputs repaired, and 4 channels all working but a little volume causes it to cut out.

I finally found a cheap sub that will fit behind the seat of the truck. Pioneer Premiere 12". After much trial and error this aft, I came to these conclusions, Pioneer amp still aint working right, and my Tape deck also seems to be taking a shit. Eq was also misbehaving, but after re flowing the solder on the inputs, its back up and running fine.

So today's fun time friday activities were getting the Sub firing. Bah, knew it would have been a massive trouble shooting adventure. Stereo is functioning nice now but needs to be dialed in. Havent spent much time on the listening end, as cramming a guy in each side to work in the back of a single cab gets old fast.

So, the initial plan was, wire in the Alpine V12 to power the sub, add a capacitor and put the Pioneer amp back in, as I had repaired the bad joints last night. After much trial and error I ended up with, Pioneer in and out, replaced once again with a 2 channel Sony xplod amp. Shitty, because I really liked having the 4 channel separation from the eq, but now, simply having 2 channel, with 4 speakers. Eq out on the bench to repair solder joints, im assuming cold. Pioneer tape deck pulled and replaced with the Sony Xplod that was in the truck previously, as well as install the V12 and cap. T and I probably spent 3 to 4 hours in the back of the truck. Tony finally took off, and I mounted up all the gear. A serious wiring party is gonna have to happen as its even more complex back there now than ever. Another day maybe.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Once I get the handlebars properly shimmed and tight I can get to installing the NOS analog Supertuner II cassette in the Cycle Sound fairing on the crossbrace bar and finally get the Hondaline fairing set up and over that on my Rollfast.

Now, THERE'S some heavy fun!

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I will if I ever get a truck.

Tagline
---
I dig the eq as well Ron. It was the main reason I bought it all. If the cassette doesnt operate as it should I will replace it with Pioneers current cassette deck.

After reading up on these, I am realizing I will need a 4 channel power amp as this head unit is not going to cut it. 15x4 wtf. I have 4 amps in the garage 2 800 watt sony amps, an Alpine V12, and a Fosgate Punch 250. All of them are 2/1, and I dont want to have to upgrade my wiring kit to accommodate 2 big amps. Plus my truck is much too small to start stacking up amps.
That is a normal power amount for a head unit, even a current one wont be much more. I would never go back to powering my door speakers with the head unit.

gear looks good, enjoy

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Nice to see my thread Necro'd back up. Most cd units I have owned are upwards of 45x4. My xplod cd unit is 52x4. Either way, I prefer to power with an amp. Not that much of this matters these days as that truck is no longer on the road. I plan to remove all the stereo equipment at some point.

Tagline
---
Nice to see my thread Necro'd back up. Most cd units I have owned are upwards of 45x4. My xplod cd unit is 52x4. Either way, I prefer to power with an amp. Not that much of this matters these days as that truck is no longer on the road. I plan to remove all the stereo equipment at some point.
I guess I need to look at the dates more often haha
But what do they really put out? I see them advertised as that but don't see them deliver. car audio seems to be the biggest offender of inflated power numbers.
I've had some sonys specifically that are rated in that range but in reality were pretty much the same a anything else more conservatively rated.

I have several pioneer amps that are 700,800,900 watts advertised but then you see that they make around 60w RMS x 4, well that is what I would call a 240w amp. My fosgate and fosgate amps of the past seem to be much closer but still inflated, one that comes to mind is a 300w fosgate that makes 75w RMS x 2

My alpine sub amp delivers as advertised at 550w RMS x 1

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Into how many ohms?? That's what I've noticed about car audio, most of the power ratings are into 2 ohms...so an 800 watter is really 200 into 8 ohms....