Soldering the pem nuts on back planes

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
I'm doing one of my own 700B's. The pem nuts on the back plane obviously requires a lot of heat. I found a solution that works pretty good. I bought one of the hot air guns on Amazon (and paid the $2.49 for a 4 year warranty). It did a very good job with some patience. Temperature was 410C, max air flow and large tip. After some trial and error I found that with the tip about 1/2" from the surface, I waited 7-8 seconds for it to heat up and then applied solder. The trick is to apply a small amount and let it flow. The board was sitting on top of a painted masonite bench and the paint got nearly hot enough to bubble. I did the cups with the small tip and it's very easy to get solder into the cups. No solder paste needed. I tried some once and it made a mess.

back plane pem nuts.jpg back plane pem nuts 2.jpg

Anybody who clicks on the link please explain what the coil of wire is for and the other tool. I could find no mention of it in the worst translated manual I think I've seen.

https://www.amazon.com/YAOGONG-Rewo...id=1523330152&sr=8-7&keywords=smd+hot+air+gun

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
The device with two prongs is called an IC pick. Not sure about the wire, might just be wire - there if you need some.