Soldering Chips

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Are there any tips, tricks, do's or don'ts when it comes to soldering logic chips to circuit boards?

Thank You!

CASSETTE DECK

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Path under Coastlands overbridge
Are there any tips, tricks, do's or don'ts when it comes to soldering logic chips to circuit boards?
1: Use an anti-static strap.
2: Use a temperature controlled soldering iron set at a high enough temperature to do the job quickly. A soldering iron set at a temperature too low has more chance of causing damage to semiconductors due to the long time taken to melt solder.
3: Use solder that contains at least 35% lead for best results. Never use lead free solder.

Last edited:

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
If possible, use sockets. They're not as sensitive to the heat or ESD.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
In addition to what is posted above:
Be sure everything is clean.
Use solder flux.
Be sure your solder iron tip is in good condition and at the right temperature.
Practice on some scrap parts or wire if you have not soldered in a while.
Don't move or blow air on the solder joint while the solder cools.
Be sure everything is clean, clean, clean.

Robert

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Also depends on what IC's (chips) you are looking to work with. DIP's are easy as they are basically just thru-hole (just a little less spacing between the pins). SOIC's.. flatpacks.. the kind where you really need a good eye (with the assist of a mag light/stereoscope/etc) = Choose your tip wisely. The smallest chisel type tip you can find that will just cover one pin OR the round/sharp tips are good for these. Use flux, but sparingly. Prep the pads with as little solder as possible prior to mounting the IC, tack on the upper left/lower right pins to line it up, then go for the rest.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Wear your antistatic wrist strap, they are static sensitive.
Yep... contrary to the outdated popular belief that "ESD was a 3 letter word, invented by 3M"... Tech is packing more and more into the same space, to where "zaps" are basically blowing holes into substrates at lower and lower voltages.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Man I would not even try LOL, the chip would be reduced to a molten mess if I did. I make a mess with flux also while I watch the solder go everywhere but where I want it to

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
I should have also asked about removal... That seems to me a potentially greater challange. No?

Sockets sound like a good idea as mentioned - for putting in new. What's the downside? FM Tuner chip FYI.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
On the 1250?? Clip the leads off the body of the IC and remove the leads one by one, again decent gun temp and moving quickly...

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
I should have also asked about removal... That seems to me a potentially greater challange. No?

Sockets sound like a good idea as mentioned - for putting in new. What's the downside? FM Tuner chip FYI.

Removal varies depending on the type of part. A vacuum solder sucking machine or even the spring loaded manual tool is really helpful. At a minimum clean, flux, flux, and more flux..... I find the hardest parts to remove are those which have been mechanically secured before being soldered. I happened to win the lotto at work for a production solder rework station with a mtn of custom tips and tools for taking out most any part. For the prior decades it was as I listed above.....

If you decide to use sockets, use good quality ones or they can create more issues than are solved. The machine-screw style are very nice but expensive.

Robert

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
On the 1250?? Clip the leads off the body of the IC and remove the leads one by one, again decent gun temp and moving quickly...
If you clip the old leads as Lee indicates, the capillary action of the solder will lift the old pin out of the hole and it will attach itself to the molten solder on the iron tip. Then just wipe the tip on your solder sponge and go to the next lead.