Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Water soluble flux? Sorry I missed the no clean part in original post. Is it certain that it’s not conductive in high impedance circuits.
It is the real deal Kester solder, banded with Litton Kester on the outside of the roll. Yes I have soldered with it to test it out and it solders and cleans up just like the other 245 no clean that I use. Same no clean flux percentage too. Core 50 is the 1.1% flux version. Guy is from silicon valley so he likely bought out surplus from one of the many CMs in the area or were in the area.

Cleans easily with my 99% Isopropyl.

Thought I would pass on the lead to anyone looking for solder at a decent price.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I found no less than 15 different versions of Kester 245 solder. One variable is wire diameter: .010", .015", .020", .025", .031", .039", .050", .062", and .125". Another variable is flux percentage: 1%, 1.1%, 2%, 2.2%, and 3.3%. There is also a version with 2% Silver, but it is expensive at $51.00 per pound.
I prefer silver solder, because it wets nicely and has a very shiny finish. My favorite diameter is .031"for the WOA circuit board work.
Joe's bargain solder is 1mm or .039" (3/64") which is very close to my favorite size.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
It is the real deal Kester solder, banded with Litton Kester on the outside of the roll. Yes I have soldered with it to test it out and it solders and cleans up just like the other 245 no clean that I use. Same no clean flux percentage too. Core 50 is the 1.1% flux version. Guy is from silicon valley so he likely bought out surplus from one of the many CMs in the area or were in the area.

Cleans easily with my 99% Isopropyl.

Thought I would pass on the lead to anyone looking for solder at a decent price.
Joe is it really 2.2lbs? (my My Kester no-clean is 1-lb/.45kg Spool, typical)

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Joe is it really 2.2lbs? (my My Kester no-clean is 1-lb/.45kg Spool, typical)
Seems these are cheap because they are the metric version and no one wants metric solder. Comes in a kg spool not the pounder use on this side of the pond. Or maybe this is counterfeit solder.

Last edited:

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I just ordered 1. It's taken me over two years to almost use up one pound. I'm thinking 2.2 pounds will be the last roll of general purpose solder I buy.
Thanks for the heads up Joe!

Attachments