So, I just bought an Apple AirPort Express...

Pure_Brew

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Coffee filters
Most nights I just like to chill and listen to music. I tired of my CD and LP content. Not completely, but it doesn't take much to blow $50 down at the music shop, come home, and be like "now what". So occasionally I would dock my phone into my stereo and stream music. Get to hear a lot of fresh content that way, naturally.

But really I like to use my phone for most internet related things, including this forum for example. Id use my PC, but all I have is this old laptop which either has annoying fan noise or, unless I just use the battery, I get some "buzz" on the system when I plug it in. Not such a great sound card either, IMHO.

So, while I've been dreaming about new phono carts and whatever else for my system, I said f' it and bought an Apple AirPort Express. So now I can just stream from my phone over my wifi network to my stereo, use it like a remote, and still surf or whatever like I'm doing now.

Obviously, nothing new, but new for me. I tried a $40 bluetooth receiver at one point, but what a peice of shit that was. Terrible range, and omg the music sounded like it was comming out of a telephones made a 2 cans and a piece of string.

To be honest, the phone on its own, docked, or the AirPort, sounds just fine to me. Still warm and full. Symbols aren't impressive, which is what I've noticed.

I might try the optical out at some point to my Denon DAP-2500 preamp at some point, just for shits and giggles. But that's when I feel like ordering a 3.5mm mini optical to toslink, that NOBODY carries around here (best buy, shack,apple).

but hey. I always want stuff that no one has lol.
well, except for this AirPort thing

Last edited by a moderator:

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I had to read it. I was going what is an Airport Express? LOL He bought a diner at the airport. 100 things went through my mind. Next you will tell me you are selling all your vinyl. LOL

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have a Pioneer SX-D7000 next to my computer and a room full of records, tapes, CDs, laserdiscs, videotapes and CEDs next to that. What is wrong with the built-in sound? I use it for my mixtapes!

I've tried to search for 'new releases on CD'...they're getting to be like eight tracks now and you gotta make your own now! Still, I never get tired of them...I just can't afford new ones.

Last edited:

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Lol I should have put "Apple" in the topic/title. Might have been better. But no, I'm not selling the vinyl. I parted with a modest collection about 10yrs ago and still regret it.

However, for me, I sort of "self medicate" with music. I just want to relax usually. However, vinyl has been more of an excersize in anxiety then a simple pleasure lately. I suppose in all honesty, there has been nothing "simple" about my pursuits when it comes to vinyl. And OOOooo the money I have spent lol. Will I upgrade even further? Time will tell. But the rational part of my brain is motioning to stop and blowing a whistle...

Besides all that, I just bought the most expensive audio assessory I've ever purchased. A house with a room dedicated for listening. And this ol' girl is hungry for my attention- and my money.

Sooooo anyway... More on the AirPort express. You and I (Larry)chatted a bit about pandora/spotify awhile back. While I was docking my phone I didn't notice an appreciable difference. However, streaming via wifi, there seems to be a greater difference between the two. Difficult to make a direct comparison, but spotify does sound to me a bit more robust with better detail.
Interesting.

orange

Tagline
It's a Dell Dimension 2350 so I believe it's a SoundMan. It's hardly deadly and if you want 5.1 out of it anyway I'd still get a Prologic decoder, which I already have two of and a third is 4.0 Dolby Surround. I have two Audigy 2ZS cards I just got new to install later, and no...I find them just fine, having used them before.

I've still got Yamaha YMFxxx cards and such from years back, mind you.

PS I have KRBX Radio Boise OTA so that funny looking thing called a TUNER in the bedroom gets used a lot

radioboise.org and you can stream it.

Last edited:

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Done. :p I looked at the title and though you were a world traveler and got one of those Senator type things that allows you to bypass all the Tsa BS.
Lol thanks, I think the clarification is needed.

@ Orange- I don't think the sound card on my laptop is really bad, its mainly a fan-noise/electrical noise issue. Off the battery however it works good, I've made a couple decent analog to digital recordings. But the hard-drive is filled up. If I end up upgrading, I'll likely take care of my son first, PC wise.

This room is stereo only, no video here. For TV I have a modest 3 speaker sub/sat system downstairs that gets used for Netflix streaming. Which is about all we watch.

I like tuners, never got around to fixing the pioneer. I have a small onkyo rcvr with preouts but it's tough to get everything I want. I have a magnum dynalab antenna I could put outside but no rush - all the stations I want also stream.

Dazen1

Most nights I just like to chill and listen to music. I tired of my CD and LP content. Not completely, but it doesn't take much to blow $50 down at the music shop, come home, and be like "now what". So occasionally I would dock my phone into my stereo and stream music. Get to hear a lot of fresh content that way, naturally.
Good for you.

Sit back and enjoy the music. :)

orange

Tagline
Didn't I help you find your Pioneer IC for that? That guy is really nice, you know! He sent me the lid and hinges, arm, and a few other needed parts for the Sony PS-T25 I've waited maybe eight years to fix for free because he said he owed me after fixing a couple Sansui parts units I sent him and he's asked me for some time what I needed for that.

That Hot Tuna ought to see Phish for Miles (And Miles) if you'd just Tear The Roof Off The Sucker/Give Up The Funk!

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
You did indeed help, and that was super nice. There is no one local to fix it so its on the back burner and has been for awhile.

orange

Tagline
You've never changed out an IC?

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
No I didn't put in this second IC. I'm too nervous to do in myself. It'll happen at some point, I just keep getting caught up in other things

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Well this is cool. I'm trying out the optical out (mini), to my Denon DAP-2500 preamp. The frequency counter on the front panel reads "44", for a 44.1khz stream, while I'm streaming from the new iTunes Radio feature in iOS7.

While I'm not sure what the actual data rate is, the music sounds superior hooked up this way. It seems most obvious on cymbals. MUCH better details.

Pure_Brew

Tagline
Coffee filters
Drop down to 24 if you can. I run everything at 24. See if there is difference. Can you convert to wav for your streaming?
I'm streaming from my phone. There is no adjustment. There is also no interface to make adjustments to the Apple AE. Not from a phone anyway. Also the preamp only tells you what it's handling @ kHz. It's not adjustable in that way.