So I Have An Awesome White Oak PL700-Now What??? Maggies?

Jimmy

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Currently my DCM speakers are doing garage duty, and being powered by an old Heathkit receiver, but I have tried them with the PL-400, and they matched up well. The TF-600s can handle up to 250 watts. They produce a surprising amount of bass for six inch drivers. They are prone to some problems such as blown tweeters, but replacements can be had for few dollars on the internet.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Your K's are still on hold. Talked to Ed yesterday and we talked about em. He's trying tpo schedule a meet with the guy now. Breathe easy, they're still there, same price.

Jimmy

Journeyman
Tagline
---
You and Ed are some very giving men. I will have to try to come up with some way to re-pay the favor.

On another note, I am passing through Gillette sometime in June. If you have a want list, let me know sometime in the next couple months what you are looking for, and I will see if I can find what you need.

Jimmy

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I have been debating with myself about getting a fully complimentary PL-400. I might wait until I find an affordable PL-700 to go fully comp. I'm sure I will be dropping off something with you. That Scott Alpha amp. we talked about a few months ago is the leading candidate; it has developed an annoying hum.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Ah......the dreaded hum monster..... We may have some cheap 700's here in a bit so unless you run into a killer bargain ya might hold off for a bit...

Richard D

Journeyman
Tagline
---
PF, Wish You Were Here, a friend brought it over, said it was intense and it was cranked on the 901s. I will never forget that.
One of my favorite albums. I think it will be in the next listening session...

I'm gonna order the sub and amp later this week, what are you guys recommendation for tweeters? I've heard the "No highs, no lows, must be Bose" shit, and the lows are definitely lacking; but I must say, there seems to be almost to much highs. May want to try the Soundcrafter EQ I have after all? I have tried changing all the settings on the Bose EQ, doesn't seem to make any difference. Maybe it's busted?

Tagline
---
Ah......the dreaded hum monster..... We may have some cheap 700's here in a bit so unless you run into a killer bargain ya might hold off for a bit...
The other day I nearly step into the PL realm, but I have to tell you guys that I prefer the series II. I like the looks more. It also match my Carver C 4000. I have found many 400 II but just a very few 700 and almost none 500. I'm waiting because have too many Crown's here and just got a BGW too...and I'm a practical collector, I mean, I don't collect things to let it dust on a shelf. I always have a full operating collection of working components with different systems around the house. That's why I haven't try the PL yet. Some day...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
One of my favorite albums. I think it will be in the next listening session...

I'm gonna order the sub and amp later this week, what are you guys recommendation for tweeters? I've heard the "No highs, no lows, must be Bose" shit, and the lows are definitely lacking; but I must say, there seems to be almost to much highs. May want to try the Soundcrafter EQ I have after all? I have tried changing all the settings on the Bose EQ, doesn't seem to make any difference. Maybe it's busted?

Got the tape monitor button in the right place?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
It's pretty simple isn't it Richard. They have in's and out's right. Post a pic of the back, it's been so long since I had any...

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Interesting thinking about going from Bose 901 I to Magneplanars. This is going for the arena rock concert to the piano jazz bar. One has the sound all around you pounding you and the other, well close your eyes and you can see the stand up bass player off to the right has on a Blue Tie.

The comment about adding a sub to the 901s...at a tweeter bank too and use those 901 drivers as midrange units. OK I'm done.

When I was selling we had the 901s, TimeWindows, DQ-10s, Magenplanars and Epicure 3.0s. So making the 901 to Magneplanar move to me is the most extreme of the speakers I'm very familiar with, even to this day as I have MG-IIIa, TimeWindows and just picked up some DQ-10s a month or two ago.

I've had the 901s, later series, III, I think and the first time I heard PF, Wish You Were Here, a friend brought it over, said it was intense and it was cranked on the 901s. I will never forget that. Maybe a 12 x 12 room Crown DC-300a and a turntable that would take all of that sonic impact and not miss a beat. Awesome.

A most awesome and informed post!! Multi-driver small cone driver vs. large planar's are extreme to decide. I'm an electro-stat guy, big power amp :tongue1: struggling to output a 2 ohm load to a thin piece of mylar that uses the air in the room as well as the walls to give you the 'bumps' get's the stumeister's junk in a major knot :evil3:

I miss my Martin Logans so much :love3:

Bought right Magneplanars are a very nice speaker but they won't slam the way many other speakers can. But the clarity is amazing.

Bought right Magneplanars are a very nice speaker but they won't slam the way many other speakers can. But the clarity is amazing.[/QUOTE]