Sirius XM Radio ... um Satellite

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Some of you might be interested in this...

Sirius XM can be a real struggle to renew if you only resort to calling them on the phone. Depending on who you get, what is offered as 'available promos' can vary widely. Some years I've secured screaming deals, other times, no freebies but still no more than six dollars per month.

In March, we were up for renewal on both vehicles. Pricing jumped like everything else these days and the promo spin was for upper packages with steep discounts but at the end of the day, the pricing still was around 100 clams or more - at best with royalty fees and taxes - per vehicle. On our actual renewal date I was lucky enough to get the low-down on a what is called Music Select. This package is music only; no talk radio; no cable news feeds; no sports ... as the name suggests - music only. That package boils down to the base subscription of 60 bux a year (when paid in full) or $5/month when you divide it out. At the time, I had to discuss with 'The Chief' so I didn't pull the trigger and opted to wait.

Some months later, when I did try to call, the phone 'help' based in the Philippines absolutely wouldn't offer that package. It was like it didn't exist at that price.
Talk about being pissed! I guess when 'sales' are provided by something with a pulse, they have to factor in an offset. Once you had their service, they also bombard you with actual mail promos and I do recall seeing a 'Select' package a few years back. But when you look for it now on their website, it doesn't seem to be found in such things as 'subscription comparison' tables and the like.

Now today, I thought to Google it and found this:
https://care.siriusxm.com/subscribe/checkout/flepz?programcode=12FOR60SELECT
It's funny how it's referred to as "Select' in the search/link but then when you move through it, it's then called 'Music and Entertainment'.
In any event, this is a better package because it includes more than just music without forcing an up-charge.
And it's completely self-service, so you don't have to talk to any knuckleheads on the phone.

Note: This low-cost package also includes streaming, which can be done via a browser and their mobile app. So it's not 'car only'.
To me, that's a real value add.

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I don’t do the satellite radio thing, but good for you for not giving up and finding the good deal.

PLUS letting us know the low-down!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Sirius sucks...... You can order all day long on their site but you can't STOP/CANCEL service. You HAVE to call them. Fuckers

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That's a typical scheme.

And cancelling mid-month is not a pro-rated refund either... Cancel day two of a month and you've paid for the entire month.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
That isn't true J!m. I've received pro-rated credits every time I've renewed or cancelled early. I've never did anything that early in the month, but with 7 or less days remaining, there's always been a pro-rate cred.

As far as the time it takes to cancel over the phone, it's always taken me less than 5. As a matter of fact, this last time (March) I was already aware that the phone agents weren't able to over the 'Select' plan by way of a preemptive, prior call, so I simply told the last agent to cut-to-the-chase and cancel out instead of offering me promotional alternatives.

So I guess it just depends how you approach it, if you open the door for them to try some creative finagling and who you get on the other end.
A half hour sounds like you got a total idiot working from home, sitting in their kitchen with dogs barking & kids screaming in the background ... :p

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
They asked if I wanted to cancel when the month I paid for ends or if I wanted immediate cancel. I get a refund of $12.09 for each radio. I did an immediate cancel.