Sick Clair 700 Series II

jimcomly

New Around These Parts
Hi all. I'm brand new to the forum, and fairly new to vintage audio. Bear with me while I give you a brief summary of how I got to where I am now...

12 or so years ago, I bought a PL 400 and a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's to "duplicate" a system one of my dad's best friends had (except he had a PL 700B). I was very happy with the sound although the 400 didn't drive the DQ-10's to quite the level I wanted. I then looked for a 700, and I found one on Craigslist that turned out to be a Clair 700 Series II. Of course, once I found out what I had, I was really happy. It's done a great job, but I never noticed much more gain than the 400, and it was always a bit imbalanced between the R and L channels. It looks mostly original except the electrolytic caps were replaced, and I think the drivers on the R channel were replaced (more on this below).

About a week ago, I decided to procure some test equipment and do some basic checks from the Service Manual. I know enough to be "dangerous", but I'm not ignorant to the safety precautions necessary around the main caps and the high DC voltage on the cans of the transistors, etc.

So the very first test is to ensure the clipping is symmetrical. I couldn't get the left channel to clip (on the scope), and the right channel only clipped with the input at 6V. I will admit that the basics of analog circuits often trip me up, so maybe there's some impedance issues I'm neglecting. I'm a Chemical Engineer by trade. I try to think in terms of pressure, flow, etc, but I haven't really grasped all the concepts yet. Actually, one of the reasons I started on this journey was to learn.

I've attached pics of the finals and drivers. I know the Clair units were ordered full complimentary, so the original schematics and info aren't quite right for this build. What jumped out at me was that the drivers are the same as the finals (drivers on the right were replaced with what I assume are equivalents). Is that correct? If so, I'll start checking the transistors one by one. Haven't checked bias yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

P.S. please ignore the dust on the transformer in the attached pic :)

Attachments

jimcomly

New Around These Parts
B+ = 99.6, B- = 100.4

at 117V in. I should also say that I made sure the variac maintained it's voltage when doing the clipping test. I suppose it's not really drawing any amps on that test, but I checked it anyway.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
We'll work through it. There are a couple big resistors that get real hot, check the MPSA 93's, the input transistors, then of course the LF 351 op-amps. Download the datasheet for them and check V+, V- voltage and the scope the op-amp outputs...

Last edited:

jimcomly

New Around These Parts
Went back to it today, and figured some things out... First, both channels are now behaving exactly the same now. I suspect it was oxidation on the rail fuse holders because the only thing I did was to check the fuses at laatsch's suggestion. I did use Deoxit in the pots before doing the original tests; maybe it took overnight to actually remove the oxidation.

At 118V supply, I'm getting 58V on both channels out into an 8ohm dummy load from 20Hz through 10Khz. At 20Khz, it falls off to 56V, but I'm obviously good with that. All of this is just before I observe clipping on the scope.

Now the embarrassing part. When I said 6V input, I was looking at the scope, so it was 6Vpp. RMS is 2.1V. I assume this is OK, but perhaps it's a bit low?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Published sensitivity is 1.75 volts input for 350 watts out so you're pretty close..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Went back to it today, and figured some things out... First, both channels are now behaving exactly the same now. I suspect it was oxidation on the rail fuse holders because the only thing I did was to check the fuses at laatsch's suggestion. I did use Deoxit in the pots before doing the original tests; maybe it took overnight to actually remove the oxidation.

At 118V supply, I'm getting 58V on both channels out into an 8ohm dummy load from 20Hz through 10Khz. At 20Khz, it falls off to 56V, but I'm obviously good with that. All of this is just before I observe clipping on the scope.

Now the embarrassing part. When I said 6V input, I was looking at the scope, so it was 6Vpp. RMS is 2.1V. I assume this is OK, but perhaps it's a bit low?

We require a lot more to be embarrassed around here....tell us when ya really pull a bone headed stunt!!

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Speaking of bonehead, this guy watched the video of initial power up of the wopl just after I attached the transformer. He said I was a brave soul for doing it without a variac or dbt. He didnt know you tested the amp before sending it to me.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Speaking of bonehead, this guy watched the video of initial power up of the wopl just after I attached the transformer. He said I was a brave soul for doing it without a variac or dbt. He didnt know you tested the amp before sending it to me.

That was quite a project Darc!!