She's heavy like 1968...

So I have this pair of what look to be very cool 100 or so watt tube mono blocks here but know little to nothing about them.

When I asked the gentleman I got them from what he knows about them he said that "They were built by a guy in northern California". When I asked him if they were meant for hifi use he said "They were built for extreme hifi".

I only have pics of one as the other had a bit of shipping damage before I picked them up.

They look to be very well built and extremely well thought out. Writing shows that 6550, KT88 & KT90 tubes can be used. It takes a quad of them. Each power tube has it's own bias pot next to it. There are four top mounted bias check points and a ground on the lower right corner of the amp. They run three 5687's (I need to pick some of these up to test the amp) & two 5751's in the front end. There is a small pot to the left marked "AC".

Anybody have any ideas on who made these or anything about these amps? Any clues to the transformers from what can be seen underneath?

You can see in the one pic that these amps weigh in at 63 pounds each. Not something I like moving around a lot :)

I've had a need for high power, hifi, tube amps for a while and am hoping these will fit the bill.

Thanks for any help

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
If that is home made, it was built by an obsessive engineer. If factory made, Why no brand name? Based on the construction techniques, I'd say it is home made.

If that is home made, it was built by an obsessive engineer. If factory made, Why no brand name? Based on the construction techniques, I'd say it is home made.

Home made and apparently pretty nice from comments I'm getting. It's a shame the other on is bent up pretty good. Some of the parts are missing as well. Gonna try and straighten it out a bit and see if it can be used. I would have replaced most of the missing items any way so it's not to big a deal. It looks as though someone was removing items in an attempt to straighten the chassis and just lost interest.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Is there any other type??