Scope

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Been thinking I need to learn how to use a scope as I know nothing about them, how to use one or what I actually need.

Found this locally does anyone have any input?

FADB8F01-5ED0-4C75-83F6-C3AB69BF2222.png

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I know next to nothing about them.
But, HP is a good brand to own I’d say.

Does it have the probes?

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Says it comes with an unmatched set of probes....no picture on the probes.

BlueCrab

Journeyman
I have one (2205A) in addition to a bunch of Tektronix scopes. For audio work the PicoScope is all you need, even the cheapest lowest bandwidth one. HP made some nice scopes, but I always preferred the Tek scopes. BTW, I used that 1741 back in the day (probably mid-80's). Storage scope is a nice addition, but the Pico will do that too (and save it to your harddrive).

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
cheap AND local??? Skip it. There are better options if you really want to learn how to use one although the learning process for a scope can take a while to figure out what you are even doing... OR seeing

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
many of the tech's here will ask you if you have a scope and not ask "do you know how to use a scope". Having one, will give you a big ass paperweight and they can be quite the task just using one. I see guys struggling with just a meter let alone trying to explain how to use a scope. They have a fair number of knobs, buttons, dials etc...... and those of us that went to tron school, there is a reason we went through many hours of training to use one (to use one effectively).

J!m

Tagline
BOT
But the upside in high end audio is that you adjust the readings until they look the way you want them to.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
First it needs to be determined what you are going to do with it- use it for the next 20 years? Play around with it and give up? The use of a scope is something that used in phase comparisons and trouble shooting of audio and even digital circuits. It does no good to have tool without the knowledge that needs to go along with them. For instance you could hook one up to a CD4011 but do you know the truth table of the IC? If you do not know what you are looking at the item even if a Pico scope will be just an unused piece. I think those computer scopes are not so easy to use as they also add another level of complexity in figuring out how to use them. With a regular scope and probes it is just a matter to understand it is a time versus voltage measuring device. Learn how to set it up and get the waveform to trigger and you are good to go. I have used many scopes in the years I have worked on electronics and some of them were real junk. Some service shops do not pay top dollar to outfit the Technicians that are suppose to be making them money. At Teac I think I had a Hitachi scope. At home always Tek scopes- I don't buy regular stuff usually.
If you are getting in the repair business which is badly needed especially in my area, you are best to train with a seasoned Technician and he will teach you all you need to know about the scope.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Although I would likely use it infrequently, I have been intermittantly checking oscilloscope ads for a couple of years. Reading threads like this rekindles the interest. Since my recent move to a rural area, such ads are few. CL is all but nonexistent but FB Marketplace is viable. At present, several oscilloscope ads are up and two are somewhat affordable but far from nearby.

Hitachi V212 oscilloscope. Dual Trace, c/w 2 probes, ops manual and service manual. Older but very good condition $200.
A 6 hour drive each way. It's 20Mhz.

$175.00 OBO Analog Oscilloscope. Model: LG (EZ) OS-5060A 2 channel, 60 MHz. Good working condition, clean, no scratches on screen. Comes with IEC C13 power cord and two BNC passive oscilloscope probes (switchable attenuation of 1x/10x) .
An 8 hour drive each way. It's 60Mhz.

Between those two, the LG model looks more attractive to me. A 16 hour round trip is a long one but if it's worth having, I'd do something silly like that. The town it's at is not somewhere I've driven to before so might be an enjoyable drive.

BlueCrab

Journeyman
So for about the same cost you could have a Pico scope (I'm assuming you have a desktop or laptop that could be used with it.). The Pico scope is a no-brainer with regards to setup with the computer and includes a built-in signal generator - which is great for learning how to use it. And it has a built-in FFT (think Spectrum Analyzer). And storage scope. And you don't have to drive anywhere.

I've been using scopes since I was about 12. My dad built one (100kHz bandwidth) - wish I still had it. I currently have 4 Tek scopes - 2 of which I use regularly, plus the Pico. It does take time learning how to best use one - if you're not careful, they can lie to you, especially when you're trying to see signals down in the weeds. But it is all worth it. Since I do a lot of restoring old radios, I'm often using a scope to do/check the alignment - great for checking the local oscillator.

I just can't justify the 6 to 8 hour drive to buy an old scope - you'll spend more on food and gas than the scope. If you want to site-see, that's different. If they were down the street, they would be worth a look, and then haggle. Just my 2 cents.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I don't have a lot of confidence in the Hitachi low end scope and the LG when I don't buy Korean stuff anyway.
You may be able to get a DPO Rigol for less thab $300 with a warranty and new.
https://www.tequipment.net/RigolDS1102E.html?rrec=true
OR
https://www.tequipment.net/RigolDS1052E.html?b=y&v=7906

With old and lower end model you take more a chance and these DPO scope will not take a lot of bench space. I use a Tektronix that I bought back in 2001 and now it is said to sell for $10,000 but I paid $3595 for mine but it needs work. Hey it is 19 years old now. My Tek 2247 and 2246 do not have anything wrong with them but were built back when computer boards were not the main part.

You know for the money I would spend to fix the TDS3032 the Rigol could be purchased. I know they are not the same thing but.