Santa Arrived Early. Audio Analyst Pro 700

The Wizard

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I just acquired a very nice Pro 700. It showed up yesterday. The gentleman that I bought this from tells me that it was serviced by Ed [ Oldphaser ] a few years ago. He claims he never plugged it in since its tune up :scratch:

Enjoy, Don

Attachments

Last edited:

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Very cool. Sort of like a 400 series one faceplate on a series two amp. Looks really thick. It's nice to see the Dale resistors that Ed has mentioned too.
I bet that would bring a bundle on ebay!

The Wizard

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
If you look at picture number four, you will see the paint is removed from the rack mounting surface. I am guessing that this was done to ground the amp to the rack to alleviate feedback?

Flush screws that hold the handles on for rack mounting.

I also noticed a number etched below the right channel meter #624. I have seen this on other Audio Analysts Amps.

Don

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I just acquired a very nice Pro 700. It showed up yesterday. The gentleman that I bought this from tells me that it was serviced by Ed [ Oldphaser ] a few years ago. He claims he never plugged it in since its tune up :scratch:

Enjoy, Don
Don,

A "few years ago" goes by quickly. More likely 5+ years ago. What is the date code on the output transistors?

Audio Analysts did a good job to taking care of these amps. The reason they engraved the front panels is so that they could quickly see by comparing to a list if the annual preventative maintenance was due. Audio Analysts had Jensen make custom racks for these amps (4 amps per rack) and the back of the racks had large fans mounted on them. None of the 40+ Audio Analysts amps I have worked on over the years had any of the normal heat affected areas under the large dropping resistors on the PL36 pc boards.

If my memory serves me correct, they installed 15A line supply fuses and 10A B+ and B- fuses. I can't remember if I subsequently re-installed smaller fuses; 10A line supply and 8A B+ and B- fuses. It is also interesting to see that this Audio Analysts PRO700 has the larger Dale NH-50 5 ohm 50 watt resistors installed like many of the later Clair Brothers amps. It appears that some of the commercial versions of the PRO700's did not.

More than likely, I also did a little detailing on the amp, painting the transformer, end bell, rack handles, new fuse caps, new transformer bolts, washers, polished speaker binding posts, etc.

Many of the power cords on the PRO700's had a red stripe on them that I don't recall Phase Linear using on any other of their products. I don't think the power cord was necessarily any larger than normal (i.e 15A AWG16).

I have some photos of the amp racks I did for Darrel Fisher. Darrel also faxed me some Audio Analysts info on the distribution network (passive crossover?) that were installed in the amp racks as well as a maintenance check list. I'll search for them later and if I find them I will post them.

By the way, it looks like the original power switch is still installed? From what I can see from the photo (from the top view of the switch) is that only (1) side of the switch (or should I say (1) set of contacts) is currently being utilized. I would suggest soldering across (jumpering) to the other side by installing a .0027uF .to .05 uF 500 volt or larger capacitor. This should help prolong the life of the power switch.

Ed

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
WAY COOL, I got a pic of one above my work bench and a manual, too bad I can't find one....... GREAT SCORE

NavLinear

That's a sweet looking amp. Have you powered it up yet? Any thoughts on upgrading? Thanks for the photos.

The Wizard

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Very cool. Sort of like a 400 series one faceplate on a series two amp. Looks really thick. It's nice to see the Dale resistors that Ed has mentioned too.
I bet that would bring a bundle on ebay!
I now have five Amps. I only need three to power three sets of speakers. Sooooo, I will be parting with a few of them. I relocated last year and am waiting for my garage to be built to house my Stereo System. I will then decide which ones will find new homes. I have the following. Two Dual 500's, One Clair Audio 700 [ WOPL Built by WOPL SNIFFER ], One Series Two 700 [ Built By Oldphaser ], One Audio Analyst 700 Pro.

I am looking for a Dual 500 that is different. I am not sure if any were produced for Pink Floyd that may have had a different face plate :?:

Don

Don,

By the way, it looks like the original power switch is still installed? From what I can see from the photo (from the top view of the switch) is that only (1) side of the switch (or should I say (1) set of contacts) is currently being utilized. I would suggest soldering across (jumpering) to the other side by installing a .0027uF .to .05 uF 500 volt or larger capacitor. This should help prolong the life of the power switch.

Ed
Here is a better picture.

DSCN2711.jpg

That's a sweet looking amp. Have you powered it up yet? Any thoughts on upgrading? Thanks for the photos.
I already have a Clair WOPL 700 Built by Wopl Sniffer. I will keep this one all original.

Thank You for the compliment, Don