Sansui g 7000 dial lights

jason

New Around These Parts
even my tech wasnt exactly sure of how to do it, but so far ive seen two of them online that were done like that.....pretty nice looking

jason said:
even my tech wasnt exactly sure of how to do it, but so far ive seen two of them online that were done like that.....pretty nice looking

DO they not fit in the mounting spot or do you need to know how to make them work?

I believe the LED's need a resistor tied in with them to get them to work right but I'm not sure of the value of the resistor.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
You need to get the voltage to them. I just got an email the other day they had them on sale. Did you buy them yet? Being a member here does have its rewards. LOL

Larry

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Hey Jason, welcome to the forum!

Different receivers, amps, etc, have different voltage and mounting considerations. I haven't had a chance to look inside a Sui "G", so first if you (or anyone of ya's here) can describe what you have as far as the stock lighting, maybe we can go from there. I did my own led lighting on my PL 700, but that was specifically for "it" alone.

Pics welcome too.. Let me see what we're up against.

jason

New Around These Parts
Sorry guys, was asleep for a bit there lol, and yes, i need to know how to make them fit, in the mounting spot, and also how to make them work....i can put up some pictures in a little bit, ill just have to get the ol g out of the cabinet that shes nestled in {shes heavy lol}

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You need to rectify and filter the AC that is running the incandescents now. Incandescents run on AC or DC. LEDs are DC only as they are low voltage diodes (although some web marketers run the LEDs off AC with a limiting resistor, it is not good design practice to do so). In addition to turing the AC in to DC, you need to install a series resistor in line with each LED to limit the forward current to no more than 20 mA.

Send pictures if possible.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Gepetto said:
You need to rectify and filter the AC that is running the incandescents now. Incandescents run on AC or DC. LEDs are DC only as they are low voltage diodes (although some web marketers run the LEDs off AC with a limiting resistor, it is not good design practice to do so). In addition to turing the AC in to DC, you need to install a series resistor in line with each LED to limit the forward current to no more than 20 mA.

Send pictures if possible.
Yep, that's exactly what I did with the PL. Pic of the PL lights? No way... too scary lookin' :pirate: . BUT... I'm pretty sure we can come up with something for the "G" here, no problem.

Funny thing you should mention about the rectifier.. I was just thinking about that yesterday. Is it in forward or reverse bias when an LED will "light"?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well, you have a forward voltage drop with a max reverse voltage. I would say forward.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
laatsch55 said:
Well, you have a forward voltage drop with a max reverse voltage. I would say forward.
Yep, so if the PIV was high enough then with a resistor limiting the current, why use a rectifier? Just thinking.. why not? I guess if you can see it flashin' on and off 30 times a second (30 for the forward bias part of the ac) then that would bother ya... Unless the on and off many many many times is what will hurt it?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Forward current = illuminated.

LEDs are not rated for PIV as they are not intended for application as a rectifier. If you do, you proceed at your own risk as far as the manufacturers are concerned. That is in addition to the 60 Hz strobing that Jer mentioned.

jason

New Around These Parts
just want to say i really appreciate all the help here, im going to get the ol g out of the cabinet sometime tonight and get pics up, wifey wants me to go to the store first...lol, life intervenes with pleasure again, but, i do think that you guys will like my rig