Sansui AU-517 - Out for repair

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Well, actually "in" for repair. So we had a bit of a "problem" with a WOPL where the AC "in" actually came in contact with the chassis. Note to self - remember that series II amps have no room at the top edge of the backplane, especially when one reassembles the top cover!

Anywhoo… so that was fixed by rerunning the wire between the thermals and that was that. BUT.. seems I took out the preamp section of my AU-517. Got it all apart now, and checking out the main preamp board on the bench. All semi's test good, but in the process I noticed that there is a silkscreen error on one of them where Sansui got it "backwards" (confirmed by checking a few threads over at AK that show the orientation matching what I have, and of course it worked before!).

A little perplexed, I set it aside for the evening and got back to it this morning. And that's when I noticed this here... but, given the silkscreen error I have to wonder if that is a result of a "mod" done to it in the past, or.. if that AC actually had enough current running back through the RCAs to do such a thing.

Wondering if anyone else has either a AU-517 or AU-717 they can pop the bottom cover off on and see if they also have it like that?

1556377958920.png

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Sorry, Jerry. I had one, but sold it last year.

You might try the TH forum, too, because I'm sure a few members have the AU-717. I do have an AU-6900, however, if it's close in layout.

Nando.

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I can do that for you

Give me a couple hours though
Glen
No rush, but thank you very much Glen! I have that old Adcom GFP-1A up and rolling, and it would appear that the recap I did is finally settling in. Sounds like heaven. After figuring out what went wrong, I think the 517 is going to get the same treatment.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Sorry, Jerry. I had one, but sold it last year.

You might try the TH forum, too, because I'm sure a few members have the AU-717. I do have an AU-6900, however, if it's close in layout.

Nando.
Is there ANYTHING you don't own or once did, Nando? I once owned a par of AR-3As and some KLH Sixes, but hey!

jbeckva

Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Thanks Glen! Yep, that break is definitely not supposed to be there. I've repaired it but will leave it unvalidated until I recap. Lots of electro's to replace and whatnot.