Safety Starts at Home

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I was doing some renovation in the shop this weekend and for my birthday, the wife bought me a new Through the wall Heater/AC unit (Kinda Like a hotel unit). The Commercial Cool I have, takes up valuable floor space but worked pretty good. Since I have 220VAC ran to the "Amp Shack" (split to 110VAC for each side of the shack), adding a 220 outlet was a piece of cake. I had to cut a hole through the wall about 40" x 18" and figured using the fine blade in the sawzall was the easiest way to cut through the MDF and not look like I used the chainsaw to do it. The wife suggested I clear all the shelving, I thought it sounded too much like work for a 5 minute cut. So, while I was laying on my side on the floor with the sawzall, cutting along my mark, a 20Lb box of metal shelf brackets vibrated off the wall and came down on my skull about 6 feet below........ TIMBER!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, didn't see that coming..... Well, I about got "Knocked The Fuck Out" and when the dust cleared, I had a nice perfect hole in the wall for the new Heat/AC unit and 2 HOLES IN MY FRIGGIN HEAD which bled quite a bit and hurt like a MOFO....... I didn't need stitches but I could have used a hard hat. Did you know that the muscles you use to chew your food run up the side of your head and attach themselves up there??? Yup, and damage to one or two of them muscles make for some interesting meals???? Yup, could hardly get a spoon full of mush through the hole for 2 days...... So, I took a couple day off and those muscles didn't cause any issues letting the Elixir Of Life (Beer), through the hole while I recovered. Well, the unit heats my shop perfectly, I dodged having to go the Emergency Room, I didn't damage ANY WOPL stuff and I wasn't using my head for anything anyway so.......... JOB WELL DONE.... Back to the shop, I have a 700B to finish. My hair will grow back and cover any scars.... COOL!

By the way, I'll post a pic if the new Heat/AC unit... It's great.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
I was doing some renovation in the shop this weekend and for my birthday, the wife bought me a new Through the wall Heater/AC unit (Kinda Like a hotel unit). The Commercial Cool I have, takes up valuable floor space but worked pretty good. Since I have 220VAC ran to the "Amp Shack" (split to 110VAC for each side of the shack), adding a 220 outlet was a piece of cake. I had to cut a hole through the wall about 40" x 18" and figured using the fine blade in the sawzall was the easiest way to cut through the MDF and not look like I used the chainsaw to do it. The wife suggested I clear all the shelving, I thought it sounded too much like work for a 5 minute cut. So, while I was laying on my side on the floor with the sawzall, cutting along my mark, a 20Lb box of metal shelf brackets vibrated off the wall and came down on my skull about 6 feet below........ TIMBER!!!!!!!!!!! Yup, didn't see that coming..... Well, I about got "Knocked The Fuck Out" and when the dust cleared, I had a nice perfect hole in the wall for the new Heat/AC unit and 2 HOLES IN MY FRIGGIN HEAD which bled quite a bit and hurt like a MOFO....... I didn't need stitches but I could have used a hard hat. Did you know that the muscles you use to chew your food run up the side of your head and attach themselves up there??? Yup, and damage to one or two of them muscles make for some interesting meals???? Yup, could hardly get a spoon full of mush through the hole for 2 days...... So, I took a couple day off and those muscles didn't cause any issues letting the Elixir Of Life (Beer), through the hole while I recovered. Well, the unit heats my shop perfectly, I dodged having to go the Emergency Room, I didn't damage ANY WOPL stuff and I wasn't using my head for anything anyway so.......... JOB WELL DONE.... Back to the shop, I have a 700B to finish. My hair will grow back and cover any scars.... COOL!

By the way, I'll post a pic if the new Heat/AC unit... It's great.
OUCH! Glad you survived that experience, anymore before I do just about everything I tell myself don't do injuries to yourself cause it just takes to long to heal up these days besides it hurts. We all hope to get smarter as we age, doesn't seem to happen in my case though! Nice to be warm ain't it?

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
29 years in the commercial building materials distribution business we have changed our safety focus considerably, one of the safety mottos from my old company was:

“NO JOB IS TOO IMPORTANT NOT TO TAKE THE TIME TO DO THE JOB SAFELY!”

Glad your ok Perry BUT more importantly I am glad the warranties on my WOPL Sniffer amps are still valid!

Huh!

mlucitt

You are lucky that box of shelf brackets was not a PL700B! Dude, do you have a will? If not, get one and send all your WOPL stuff to Lee. He'll know what to do with it. Just sayin'.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I tend to think about things twice now being on 2 different blood thinners. Had I done what you did Perry, I would have bled out...

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Glad your still with us. When I search ' Through the wall a/c' on ebay, all I see are units that look about the same as what I stick in the window. Is there another name for that type?
I got clocked years ago, by my steam iron falling off the top shelf in the closet when I was installing new carpet.
I looked like Dick Da Bruiser took my face to the corner post.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Glad your still with us. When I search ' Through the wall a/c' on ebay, all I see are units that look about the same as what I stick in the window. Is there another name for that type?
I got clocked years ago, by my steam iron falling off the top shelf in the closet when I was installing new carpet.
I looked like Dick Da Bruiser took my face to the corner post.

Yeah, it's a PTAC

https://www.frigidaire.com/Home-Comfort/Air-Conditioning/PTACs/

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Thanks Perry! I sure could not find them. Maybe i should branch out from Ebay sometimes.
Now I need the formula for btu & cubic feet/ room size. It might be right there at Frigidaire.