RTR Tape Find, I Think

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Hi Guys,

That darn Craigslist strikes again. This time a guy a couple miles down the road had a shopping cart filled with various RTR tapes, 98 in all. I gave him $75 as the like new reels and boxes were worth that even if all the tape was trash.

A huge mixture of things the best being some like new Maxell UD, and some TDK. There is a bunch of Memorex in nice plastic boxes that appears to be a good quality tape as well (all one pass stuff). For some reason never thought much of Memorex but always open to learn something. These are labeled low noise, high output and the tape looks like quality stuff.

A bunch of Ampex acetate tape which appears fine but really no idea if that stuff is even worth the reels it came on. Also a variety of Scotch, many different formulas. There are also about a dozen pre-recorded quad tapes, show tunes and classical and several reels of BASF and other non-marked stuff.

Robert

[attachment=0:ilwddpip]RTR_Tapes_rs.jpg[/attachment:ilwddpip]

Attachments

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Robert: That would be a big score in my books. You have lots of fine tape there. I found the TDK Audua as good as the Maxell for sound quality. With any of the acetate tape, you have to be careful with it, and ff and rw may break the tape, unfortunately.

Any of the pre-recorded quad tapes are valuable and some titles can fetch prices up to your total cost of your buy.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Audua was my primary tape and what I had the 4300 biased for. LB was a little hard on heads but will last for almost ever.

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
Wow! Guess I fell into a deal for a change... :)

Does anyone know anything about Memorex tape labeled Low noise, High Output? Silver and black label on the center hub of the reel. I'll get a photo.

Thanks,
Robert

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Robert, I never ran accross any in the day, but never heard anything negative about it either.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Now i see where the side hinged cassette case came from.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Robert,

IMPORTANT NOTE

the majority othe tapes witha big 4 logo are

FOUR TRACK, NOT 4 CHANNEL (QUAD).

This means TWO TRACKS (STEREO) PER SIDE.

This relly confuses users who didn't use the the first time around and the while the recording industry was correct is usage, RECEIVER andn DECK MAKES were basically hOT HELPFUL MUCH with $4$4$4$4 plastered on the fake veneers, :knob: :knob: :knob: :error: :blah5: :la:

Hope that helps, nothing from Mars :brave:

rtp_burnsville said:
Hi Guys,

That darn Craigslist strikes again. This time a guy a couple miles down the road had a shopping cart filled with various RTR tapes, 98 in all. I gave him $75 as the like new reels and boxes were worth that even if all the tape was trash.

A huge mixture of things the best being some like new Maxell UD, and some TDK. There is a bunch of Memorex in nice plastic boxes that appears to be a good quality tape as well (all one pass stuff). For some reason never thought much of Memorex but always open to learn something. These are labeled low noise, high output and the tape looks like quality stuff.

A bunch of Ampex acetate tape which appears fine but really no idea if that stuff is even worth the reels it came on. Also a variety of Scotch, many different formulas. There are also about a dozen pre-recorded quad tapes, show tunes and classical and several reels of BASF and other non-marked stuff.

Robert

[attachment=0:1xsdhpg8]RTR_Tapes_rs.jpg[/attachment:1xsdhpg8]

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
orange said:
Robert,

IMPORTANT NOTE

the majority othe tapes witha big 4 logo are

FOUR TRACK, NOT 4 CHANNEL (QUAD).

This means TWO TRACKS (STEREO) PER SIDE.

This relly confuses users who didn't use the the first time around and the while the recording industry was correct is usage, RECEIVER andn DECK MAKES were basically hOT HELPFUL MUCH with $4$4$4$4 plastered on the fake veneers, :knob: :knob: :knob: :error: :blah5: :la:

Hope that helps, nothing from Mars :brave:
Good timing on this as I noticed the same thing on some of those tapes last night. A couple of the tapes do appear to be true 'quad' while the majority of the pre-recored ones are just standard two track + two direction = 4 track marketing hype!

Sush, never enough time to play with all the fun things in life.

Thanks,
Robert