Rt-707

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
On play back it isn't hitting the peaks. That I saw on record. I took the tape to the Akai. Same thing;but I know the Akai. Holds its peaks.

Can I guess here the heads are worn out?Talk to me people.

Larry

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Worn heads are easy to see visually. Post pictures of the heads.
Judging tape levels on VU meters is an imperfect science. Some decks do dynamically compress audio, but I doubt one could spot it staring at meters.

speakerman1

Tagline
I record in the red for my peaks. On play back they weren't even close to 0.They were way low. I noticed it just glancing up on play back. I don't put much at staring at meters. When I did play back on the Akai and they were still low.I knew I had a problem.

Larry

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
There will be a discernible difference in the source dB level than the recorded dB level. You should monitor your recording while depressing the "Tape" button. Unless the reel tape is a dud, or your eq and bias switches are not set for the brand and type of tape you are recording on, there shouldn't be more than a 1-2 dB drop in output level while recording and alternating between "Tape" and "Source."

Nando.

speakerman1

Tagline
It played fine on the deck prior to erasing it.The peaks were good.I erased it recorded my usual way and on play back on 2 decks they were more than 1 or 2 dbs lower.

Larry

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Larry: If you were to record on a virgin tape would you have the same issue? Or, is it only an issue when you have erased a few tracks and have re-recorded over your pre-existing songs? By the way, is this a mix tape for Lee? I'm wondering if he had a chance to play the Emerson, Lake & Palmer reel tape I recorded for him?

Nando.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Are you going to include this deck in with my shipment, that is hopefully already on it's way? I keep looking for packages on my front steps when I get home from work. :cyclops:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Post pics of the heads. You should be able to see the wear if there is any, running the back of your fingernail across them, if you feel a groove, the trouble has started.

Do you have a NOS tape to try? Double check your settings. And use that source/tape switch while recording, we need more info sir :D

speakerman1

Tagline
Web Police said:
Are you going to include this deck in with my shipment, that is hopefully already on it's way? I keep looking for packages on my front steps when I get home from work. :cyclops:
I was burn some music and put in what you asked and then send your box. I made an announcement all shipping would be later this week.

Larry

speakerman1

Tagline
OK this is my surmise. It isn't in the playback part. It is in the recording part. On playback of other tapes it is fine. It is just recording that my peaks are low. They aren't low when I am in the process of recording. They are low on playback.

Larry

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
speakerman1 said:
Web Police said:
I was burn some music and put in what you asked and then send your box. I made an announcement all shipping would be later this week.

Larry

Gotcha. :cyclops:

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
speakerman1 said:
OK this is my surmise. It isn't in the playback part. It is in the recording part. On playback of other tapes it is fine. It is just recording that my peaks are low. They aren't low when I am in the process of recording. They are low on playback.

Larry
Not enough juice going to the record head then, time for a rebuild :cry: