RIP stock 400

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
So today I turn my system on crank it up a bit and the stock 400 stops putting out it was lit up but no sound, this amp has been driving my subs. So I check fuses line fuse is ok as I thought it would bas the lights to the meters stayed on but the other 2 fuses were blown. Replaced them plugged it in and they blew instantly. Put 2 new fuses in again only this time I disconnected the speakers from the outputs and plugged it in again, the fuses held. So under a hunch I got my volt meter out and measured the output on the right channel, look ok then measured the left channel and got 83.7V DC..... So guess this is the end for this amp don't think it is worth fixing as it is an older 3 fin job, might sell the face plate and meters not sure yet but will go find another amp to drive my subs.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
I many need a PL400 parts amp, depending on how bad mine is. It already has the WO Control Board, so I want to get it running. How much do you need to get for that amp?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I many need a PL400 parts amp, depending on how bad mine is. It already has the WO Control Board, so I want to get it running. How much do you need to get for that amp?
I'm not sure yet what I will do with it, the meters work perfect and the face plate is real nice but it still has all the original caps in it so it would need to be completely gone through or I may just hang onto it for spare meters in case the ones on my WO 400 ever go out.....

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Fused output xsistors?
Shouldn’t the DC circuit trip?

Last edited:

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fused output xsistors?
Shouldn’t the DC circuit trip?
This is bone stock no DCP board in it, I guess the way a stock PL handles DC is by blowing fuses..... I am going to pick something else up with a bit more balls than the 400 to drive the subs.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Stock PLs blow your speakers,,,,I blew my PL and speakers MANY TIMES back in the early 70's with my 400. I stayed away from Phase Liner amps for over 30 years until Joe created a miracle in his White Oak Audio product line. I always loved the sonics and the look of Phase Linear amps and preamps but mine was just NEVER STABLE....Thank you Joe and Don...for bringing Phase Linear back from the ashes...

Keep your 400 and bring it back to life with a full WOPL upgrade!!!! Don't part it out.....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Sutton, that's what I been saying, the stock stuff is NOT TO BE TRUSTED..... Even Partially upgraded...... As you say, full WOPL is the way to go.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Stock PLs blow your speakers,,,,I blew my PL and speakers MANY TIMES back in the early 70's with my 400. I stayed away from Phase Liner amps for over 30 years until Joe created a miracle in his White Oak Audio product line. I always loved the sonics and the look of Phase Linear amps and preamps but mine was just NEVER STABLE....Thank you Joe and Don...for bringing Phase Linear back from the ashes...

Keep your 400 and bring it back to life with a full WOPL upgrade!!!! Don't part it out.....
Not sure what I will do with it now... if I had someone who did stock 400's I would maybe consider doing it up maybe just add a DCP but other than that I would like to keep it stock. I already have a full wopl 400

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Not sure what I will do with it now... if I had someone who did stock 400's I would maybe consider doing it up maybe just add a DCP but other than that I would like to keep it stock. I already have a full wopl 400
You might ask Ed (oldphaser) if he would refurb your 400 stock with DCP. He is the wizard master of the non-WOPL world. I have one I've kept stock (with appropriate reliability upgrades) as well.