Right channel cutting out on my WOPL Clair 700

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Happening a lot lately and it scares me a little but since this is my only amp, I still listen to it everyday. Just disconcerting playing a record, RTR or CD and right channel just shuts off then comes back on intermittently. Sometimes I get a distorted fizzy sound. Not sure if it has anything to do with the right channel volume pot but I never move it. Both pots stay at 3:00 position as recommended by Ed

I think Perry used a Rev E board in it, I really want the new WO dual mono board in it which would be a better match for my preamp anyway but at this time, have not had money to even plan for it. Never had an issue up until about a month or so ago so I thought I would ask here before bugging a very busy Perry LOL. I don't believe what's happening has anything to do with the build, Perry's work is topnotch

My preamp is a Perreaux Class A Dual Mono and has been gone over, all my cables were checked and no issues, it happens with any source, not just phono

Any ideas? Please LMK as I can't afford to ship the amp anywhere so it looks like it's on me to fix or to retire it until better days financially. I don't want it blowing up and causing catastrophic damage in the future by tempting fate but I listen everyday so it's hard to not use it. I have not been cranking it at all for several months

In the mean time, I have been looking for another 200+ WPC amp of good quality but have had zero luck so far. I don't want some shit DJ amp and those new cheap QRS and Crown amps at Guitar Center sound like shit. I am not interested in cheesy stuff or anything Class D. I do have the Cerwin Vega theater amp but that needs a recap and probably new power caps. I don't dare chance it on my main system even though it seems to run the garage system ok

Thank in advance! Worse comes to worse, I will call Perry for help but I know he's busy building amps

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
My 700B experiences with intermittent channels might be things to consider

Shortly after my 700B came back from it’s conversion via Jerry, an intermittent channel manifested. The hookup wires used to the board were quite stiff and a couple of them were not gripped as firmly by the phoenix connector clamps as they could have been. Manipulating the board just slightly was enough to extract the ends of those wires from their connection point. After corresponding with Jerry, I tinned those wire’s ends to give the phoenix connector’s “clamps” something soft to bite into.

Another intermittent channel issue arose sometime later and if memory serves, it was theone opposite from the earlier instance. Not with 100% certainty but consensus was a relay on the DPC board. I obtained a replacement relay but due to my unfamiliarity with dual layer board material, I ruined the board during the desoldering process.

A complete replacement DPC was optioned and no intermittent channels have been experienced since which has been 4 maybe 5 years now.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I have never been a big fan of mechanical connections. Particularly after my experiences with Molex connectors on Phase Linear 4000 pre-amplifiers.

I also have never been a big fan of double-sided through hole plated pc boards. In many cases you have to decide whether to try and save the board or save the part. This is in part to working on the Phase Linear 7000 cassette deck Microscan pc boards.

Ron,

In use (listening to your amplifier), the volume pots are quietest set all the way CW (approx. 5 o'clock).

Ed

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
You could start by swapping left and right input cables at the amp (leave them the same at the preamp out) if the problem switches channels then it is source issue. If the problem channel stays the same it is an amp issue.

don’t think it would be a speaker issue because you say there is static sometimes, that doesn’t sound like a speaker issue.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Send it in bro....... I know shipping aint cheap but it's under warranty (KIND OF, you guys had it opened up a while back). It won't be if you let somebody poke around inside it.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Send it in bro....... I know shipping aint cheap but it's under warranty (KIND OF, you guys had it opened up a while back). It won't be if you let somebody poke around inside it.
I may give you a ring Perry, yeah meter board thingy was fixed

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
if I remember right, you got a free upgrade to backplanes and control board for selling a couple WOPL's for me. I'll have to look your amp up in my file. It was under partial warranty. You didn't get meter work and a few other items. yeah, shipping will run you about $80 each way (or close to it).

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Who know's what else Perry might spot. I know money is tight, but a free amp health check up is well worth it .

And this is exactly why I want another WOPL for backup. I'd be having withdrawals as soon as mine went in the box.

A loaner program like a car dealership would be nice! Heh...Heh

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Ron, in case you missed it, here is a copy of the note i left you on you amp build thread from 3 years (and then some) ago....

Ron, I just went through the Joint build of your amp. It pretty much got everything. the meters DID work apparently (for a while), don't know what you did to repair the one. Before you ship it out,,,,,, unplug it for a few minutes, and take the top off and check the little screws on the DCP and make sure they are snug (don't reef on them). there are 4 small 4-40 screws that hold it to the speaker jack stand-offs, and 7 screws where the wires come into the DCP. It has the original Attenuation switch still in it, maybe one of the resistors on the switch has a bad contact/cracked etc... That was before I found NOS switches. Leaving the intermittent channel issue, is not good for your amp.

before you put the top back on, call me and I'll have you check a couple things.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Who know's what else Perry might spot. I know money is tight, but a free amp health check up is well worth it .

And this is exactly why I want another WOPL for backup. I'd be having withdrawals as soon as mine went in the box.

A loaner program like a car dealership would be nice! Heh...Heh
I did that for awhile.,..

Northwinds

Tagline
I think you should Just send it to him Ron and get it fixed. Perry has always treated you right.

Ron, in case you missed it, here is a copy of the note i left you on you amp build thread from 3 years (and then some) ago....

Ron, I just went through the Joint build of your amp. It pretty much got everything. the meters DID work apparently (for a while), don't know what you did to repair the one. Before you ship it out,,,,,, unplug it for a few minutes, and take the top off and check the little screws on the DCP and make sure they are snug (don't reef on them). there are 4 small 4-40 screws that hold it to the speaker jack stand-offs, and 7 screws where the wires come into the DCP. It has the original Attenuation switch still in it, maybe one of the resistors on the switch has a bad contact/cracked etc... That was before I found NOS switches. Leaving the intermittent channel issue, is not good for your amp.

before you put the top back on, call me and I'll have you check a couple things.
I know but I have zero income and we just lost the transmission in our only vehicle a month ago so it's just not in the cards right now to ship anything. Debbie would ask me what the hell I was thinking and she would be right. I am pulling the amp out of my system until a time when I can come up with the shipping plus whatever else it needs for the dual mono board (maybe the Rev E could be traded in???) and going to use the CV amp now very carefully LOL. That's another amp I would love seen upgraded because it's comparable if not a bit better then a PL400 since it's already dual mono and has much better cooling by design

I will leave checking the screws to you Perry, I don't trust my eyes messing around inside the amp. As for the meter board, a green chicklet thingy or two needed to be replaced

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Ron, I'm going to send you a shipping tag. The tab was picked up by one of the brothers on the site who wishes to remain anonymous. If you get a minute head over to home depot and get one of the Heavy Duty Extra Large boxes and some bubbles (NO FRICKIN PEANUTS). I'll email your shipping tag to you for fedex after Thanksgiving. I'll get her squared away for you bro. I don't have the cash for the Dual Mono board but even if I upgraded it, you wouldn't be able to tell. All of Joes boards are top shelf and it's hard to improve them sonically Yes, some of the features like the real fuses are great but since you don't work on them, it won't matter and you wont notice. You still got 30 years to beat up on that amp before you need the new boards. Don't get hung up on that stuff. send me your email again so i can send you the shipping tag.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Green chicklet thing on the meter board???? What makes you thing it's bad? I have never replaced one..... The electrolytics yes, the non's? No....

Northwinds

Tagline
I am pretty sure it was the green chicklet thing Perry, I would have to ask Ed. All I know is since he replaced whatever it was, the meter performs flawlessly since. I still have those two push button things you sent me also Perry, I think they are power and meter switches?

That's really nice of the anonymous member, thank you so very much!!!! I hope I can do you a favor some day in return!!!

I will give you a ring tomorrow Perry, I still have my Star flight amp case for shipping, it weighs maybe 5-7lbs and offers way more protection then a same dimension cardboard box and bubbles???

Happy Thanksgiving Phoenix!!!