Rev. A to Rev. E differences and Quasi vs Full

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Whoa Nellie...
Technically, you are correct; but in practice that never happens. True, the total rail voltage in a PL700 is 200 volts and this does not change after a WOPL upgrade. But to say the power output is controlled by the rail voltage is incorrect. It would be more correct to say the output is "limited" by the rail voltage; and at 200 volts, that theoretical power would be 5000 watts (200 volts x 200 volts / 8 Ohms = 5000 watts) or 2500 watts per channel. It just ain't so.
Now the magic of the WOPL upgrade is the increased efficiency in the front end and the higher SOA of the newer outputs. I routinely measure power output before the WOPL upgrade for my customers and have recorded voltages at the output of 52 vrms, 54 vrms, and 56 vrms per channel (338 watts, 364 watts, and 392 watts). After the WOPL upgrades, I was able to record output voltages of 62 vrms, 63 vrms, and 66 vrms (480 watts, 496 watts, and 545 watts). The peak power ratings are even higher, given the increased headroom and the ability to handle an increased input without clipping.
How is this possible? Closer tolerances during manufacturing, increased consistency, and design improvements thanks to WOA.

Try it yourself and see what your WOPL will produce. I would be surprised if you record less than 62 vrms at one channel when driven by a 1kHz signal at 2 vrms. There will be no clipping.

For a WOPL 400, you should be able to see the stock output of 44.72 vrms increase to at least 50 vrms (312 watts) per channel with no clipping.

I would agree with all this if you are driving only one channel.....

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Your clipping is test equipment threshold. Mine is by ear, so yeah, a little bit higher. And my hearing is not as good as it used to be. I'm down 1.2db at anything over 13 kHz.
So what you saying is your ear can determine clipping better than my Audio Precision and Teck scope. I just going to put the lot up for sale and listen more

mlucitt

So what you saying is your ear can determine clipping better than my Audio Precision and Teck scope. I just going to put the lot up for sale and listen more
Glen, you took that exactly the wrong way. Your AP and scope are way more accurate and sensitive than my old ears. Your AP can pick up clipping before it is audible and I just keep cranking up the volume until I HEAR it, which is well past the threshold of your AP. That's why you have an AP.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Glen, you took that exactly the wrong way. Your AP and scope are way more accurate and sensitive than my old ears. Your AP can pick up clipping before it is audible and I just keep cranking up the volume until I HEAR it, which is well past the threshold of your AP. That's why you have an AP.
Ok I got you. All good

I have never measured the voltage at 1-2% distortion. I will have to measure that and see how much gain there is. 1-2% distortion which is typical of most tube amps and not audible by most people I guess.

thanks for your input, after all I did ask for it I my post :)

Last edited:

mlucitt

1-2% distortion which is typical of most tube amps and not audible by most people I guess.
Exactly why the WOPL is such a great amp compared to the original Phase Linear, which was a huge improvement over tube amplifiers. The Phase Linear amplifiers had so little distortion at high output levels compared to tube amps, hence their popularity with sound reinforcement folks. The WOPL has even less distortion so a proportionally higher "clean" output level.

When you have a pair of speakers that can handle 750-1000 Watts for a limited time, and you crank the WOPL amplifier wide open with a clean CD quality signal through a quality preamplifier, you are rewarded by an amazing Sound Pressure Level (SPL) at reasonable distortion levels.

mlucitt

Here are some variations output voltages vs distortion
The second screen capture shows 451.5 Watts into 8 Ohms continuous per channel at 2.69% distortion and noise, maybe just beginning to be audible? That is with a generated 2kHz sine wave test signal at 2 volts, right? I wonder how that distortion and noise level compares to music program input at 2 volts? Same? More? Less?
That could be called a WOPL 900!

Thanks for the testing on the AP. I have got to get me one of those.

Tagline
Love great audio, beermaking and pyrotechnics
Wow, you guys are really making me appreciate what I am going to build. I had already found from reading here that a 700 WOPL was probably better than about any amp within a normal persons budget. Now that I have the base I can't wait to build it.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
The second screen capture shows 451.5 Watts into 8 Ohms continuous per channel at 2.69% distortion and noise, maybe just beginning to be audible? That is with a generated 2kHz sine wave test signal at 2 volts, right? I wonder how that distortion and noise level compares to music program input at 2 volts? Same? More? Less?
That could be called a WOPL 900!

Thanks for the testing on the AP. I have got to get me one of those.
Yes 2khz generator signal. The AP output is set forr this series of photos at 2 volt. I use the volume pot on the amp to vary input current. Did not record actual input voltage at each level.

if you use a music signal as the input. I’d think no useful data could be measured. If you use a scope with a music signal it may be easier to pick up the clip that way.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yes 2khz generator signal. The AP output is set forr this series of photos at 2 volt. I use the volume pot on the amp to vary input current. Did not record actual input voltage at each level.

if you use a music signal as the input. I’d think no useful data could be measured. If you use a scope with a music signal it may be easier to pick up the clip that way.
With music, it will clip at a much higher level because the sine wave in this case is dragging down the bulk supply with the continuous nature of the sine wave input. Someone posted an article on the forum a while back about achieving higher practical headroom with an unregulated supply.