Replacing the K's woofers!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Two weeks was too much to put up with an intermitten woofer. One call to Bob Crites and they were shipped 4 hours later. THAT is service!!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Helluva an amp, getting real partial to it. Joe has recommended replacing the Zoebel network resistors on Don's board as they appear inductive. Jer says it made a big difference in sound. So the Don board in this will get the fix before it goes Doug.

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Helluva an amp, getting real partial to it. Joe has recommended replacing the Zoebel network resistors on Don's board as they appear inductive. Jer says it made a big difference in sound. So the Don board in this will get the fix before it goes Doug.
Don's board is a beauty. Here are a couple of shots of the board for those not familiar with it. The two 4.7 Ohm resistors are the large large white components in the photos.

View attachment 6801 View attachment 6802 View attachment 6803

fitz43

Thanks. Just went and read what wikipedia had to say about Zobel Networks. I'm afraid it went over my head.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
They are to protect the output section in case of highly reactive or inductive lods. Exactly how they do this is Joe's territory.

Doing exactly what the wife has requested, BREAKING THE WOOFERS IN RIGHT!!! That is 123db, IN THE SWEET SPOT!!!!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Evidently the woofs haven't been right for quite some time, don't remember them being THIS GOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Doug, your amp has bben real world stress tested. The thermodiscs opened up at 220 degrees fahrenheit. Didn't have the fans on. This unscheduled test of the Phase Linear Overheat Emergency Shutdowm is complete.

No amps were hurt in the making of this test.

NavLinear

That's the 400 board. The 700 boards are quite a bit different Dennis. No IC. Discreet , so repairable. And the big bonus--they F&^%$# WORK!!
Lee,

I went back and looked at the photos for the 700 dc protect PCB and it is quite different than the 400 board - duh. Just call me Dumas. What I did see was that the 5 watt resistor seems to be the same for both the 400 and 700 dc protect board. Should this be of concern to me?

I've noticed the heat factor while testing the 400 - I'll have a "funny" story to tell about my ventures into the audio test world in the next day or three. As always too much fun!

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The Zoebel network as the same component and value wise for the 400 and 700. Joe has recommended to Jer to replace the stock resistor with the ones on the original Zoebel. ie-- 2- 3-5 watt 10 ohms in parallel the seriesed to the .1 uf cap between the +/- speaker posts.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Looking forward to your stories, I'm starting to feel like a freak, as in "Am I the only one that f$#$'s shit up when fixing it sometimes"

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
They are to protect the output section in case of highly reactive or inductive lods. Exactly how they do this is Joe's territory.

Doing exactly what the wife has requested, BREAKING THE WOOFERS IN RIGHT!!! That is 123db, IN THE SWEET SPOT!!!!
Don't forget to keep the neighbor's liquor tabs paid, remember what you did LAST TIME...without Hendrix and alcohol or bud even!:rr:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
So Lee, you replaced the woofers in the KHorns? And used the CAST version...So what is your opinion of the CAST vs the STAMPED FRAME. Now ya got me wondering if I did the right thing getting the stamped. Probably should have gone cast, but I would hve had to file either the cabinet or the frames to get them to fit in the La Scalas. If there is THAT much difference in sound, I ma have to put cast in them..but I think the bottom end response in the La Scala is limited by the cabinet volume anyway, so maybe no real difference in this particular .speaker.. What is the story of the intermittent woofer? Inquiring minds...

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Soirry Sutton, just noticed this. I had the cast frames to begin withn Sutton. I think I wounded them some time ago because these new ones sound a lot better.