Removing Scratches from Acrylic Faceplates?

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Anyone know how to remove scratches from faceplates? Somehow I scratched the dial faceplate on a G7000 and I wondering if it can be fixed.

IMAG0408.jpg IMAG0407.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, I put some deep scratches on some Spec 4 meters. Let me get Jani, she's the scratch fixer...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
3,000grit wet or dry premium sandpaper, not the cheapstuff, wet......sand until you can not catch the scratch with your fingernail.....then.....Flitz polish to get rid of the sandpaper scratches.....then....

One of the following Plastic polishes .....whichever one appears to be doing the best job, start with the Meguiars first...

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
3,000grit wet or dry premium sandpaper, not the cheapstuff, wet......sand until you can not catch the scratch with your fingernail.....then.....Flitz polish to get rid of the sandpaper scratches.....then....

One of the following Plastic polishes .....whichever one appears to be doing the best job, start with the Meguiars first...
Dupont #7 is a classic scratch fixer too. I usually do the wet or dry followed by bon ami followed by the DuPont followed by a plastic polish.

Many ways to skin this cat...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Jani says " You da Man" she's amazed the two procedures are almost the same.....great minds and all that she says....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
She's in the mancave watching " Bizarre Foods" with Andrew Zimmern....we caught this show in Phoenix and been watching it ever since...

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
If there is anyone that is good at this I would be happy to reimburse them for their services.. :blob8: I have to admit, trying scares the poop outta me! Not my strong suit....... hmmm.. trying to remember what my strong suit is... Ah, making brownies!

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
What about masking off an area slightly larger that the graphics and polishing around it?

I had a metal wall clock once with rust spots and covered it's logo with masking tape (not the green painters tape) before I took it to the U-Blast shop. The old paint and rust came off as usual and as I'd hoped, the masking tape protected all that it covered. I masked an area slightly larger that the logo's max width and length so the old paint formed a perfectly rectangular background - more like an emblem.

nadude98

Journeyman
Tagline
---
What about masking off an area slightly larger that the graphics and polishing around it?

I had a metal wall clock once with rust spots and covered it's logo with masking tape (not the green painters tape) before I took it to the U-Blast shop. The old paint and rust came off as usual and as I'd hoped, the masking tape protected all that it covered. I masked an area slightly larger that the logo's max width and length so the old paint formed a perfectly rectangular background - more like an emblem.
That's my plan as of the moment, though I have to mask it right at the emblem to get rid of the blemish.. even though the emblem is slightly scratched it doesn't show like the rest... thank gosh!

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"

[/QUOTE,

hey Lee,
Tell jani she has a nice collection of polishes there. She has it down pat.
Before there were so many polishes available, we used toothpaste. Still works great.