RCA jack damage to Denon DN-790R

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
This would be Part VI or VII doesn't matter really which. The problem was 'Death Grip' IC's, they had the loosen screw collar, but still way too tight. I baby my gear, and had a bad feeling getting those suckers off, sure enough the Input (R) jack got jacked. It's the one far right under the Balanced IN/Outs (those are at the top). if you blow it up you can see the silver pin on top of the black plastic plug is broke, there's some small damage caused by me with a screwdriver trying to bend it back down in place. The jack has the (connect strip??) going down thru the board.

So I don't know if all four jacks need to be replaced as a unit. If it's just a solder job, the other three will need reinforcement, because the may be close to the failure point and not show it. I'm correct in that thought, right? Just a small tug later on could cause another failure.

Crappy camera, sorry!

Attachments

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!
Check parts express, you can get individual phono (rca) jacks and should be able to replace that, Radio Shack would probably have them to, simple solder in job.

Jim

stuwee

Fairchild said:
Check parts express, you can get individual phono (rca) jacks and should be able to replace that, Radio Shack would probably have them to, simple solder in job.

Jim
Cool, but I think I should do all four, to save a possible hassel later on. Don't you think? It's hard to see in the pic, but they are at different angles (whether they were like that before I don't know). I assume the main connection to solder is under that big board. I'll have Dale look at it tonight and see if he can do the work. He was scared of me last night, I don't get really pissed off very often, he could tell I was big time.

Fairchild

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
It's Beer Season!

stuwee

rtp_burnsville said:
Stuwee..... As I mentioned before, you really need to learn how to solder. Not having a good week I see.

Robert
Oh God Robert please don't say that, all this happened in a two day span...week??, I'm screwed :shock:

I'm seriously thinking about practicing using the iron, I have one, with a ream of wire, It's a Weller SP23L, 25 watter, I'm better at desoldering than messing with boards, but I learn things fast :albino:

Another Q, if I take the bottom plate off, will the big board come loose? I mean fall out if the deck is upside down?

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
stuwee said:
rtp_burnsville said:
Stuwee..... As I mentioned before, you really need to learn how to solder. Not having a good week I see.

Robert
Oh God Robert please don't say that, all this happened in a two day span...week??, I'm screwed :shock:

I'm seriously thinking about practicing using the iron, I have one, with a ream of wire, It's a Weller SP23L, 25 watter, I'm better at desoldering than messing with boards, but I learn things fast :albino:

Another Q, if I take the bottom plate off, will the big board come loose? I mean fall out if the deck is upside down?
Hey Stuwee, Your black cloud of luck has floated my way..... Tonight came home and the tax assessor wants to come snoop around. If that is not bad enough tried to call the clown and the phone is dead. No problem, just use the internet site to get the phone fixed, not, their site doesn't work, just generates errors. Thanks Stuwee!!!!! I am going to find the fan and see if I can blow the cloud some other direction.,,,,

Robert

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
In a cursory look of the image of the RCA jacks does it seem the gang of jacks are held by the Philips screw? It appears the jacks with their insulating blocks have to be replaced as one unit. At least, that's what I would do.

Nando.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
In the future do not try to take the rca cables off, or soak em with penetrating oil first. Or make sure the cables fit loosely before connecting them.

stuwee

Web Police said:
In the future do not try to take the rca cables off, or soak em with penetrating oil first. Or make sure the cables fit loosely before connecting them.
Ha! In the future, I'll stick with my el cheapo Rat Shack IC's, I get perfectly good sound with those, and no equipment damage.

Nando, looking at it more closely, I think you're right :thumbright: , it's a one piece unit of four. So now I need a donor deck (my wanted ad will be the first post in the new section :D ). I'm sure that jack block was used in several Denon decks from that era, should be an easy find for next to nothing :thumbright: