Rare Phase Linear stuff

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
No, I was referring to an earlier McIntoch Clinic held at Seattle Stereo about 1967, NOT 1971, which is a later visit to Seattle Stereo. In fact, John Ledbetter, owner of NW Sound, was employed at Seattle Stereo, on 1st Avenue, Seattle, during that time and he remembers me and Bob lugging that huge amp on three chassis into the clinic. At the time, i was employed in sales at Seattle Radio Supply. This was well before Bob began building Phase Linear amps.
Dave,

It's good to have you aboard. There is probably no one else besides you who knows as much about Bob Carver and the early history of Phase Linear.

When I made the comment:

" The history may be off a little. The McIntosh clinic was January 15, 1971 at Seattle Stereo Center".
My comment was made in response to your posting on Audiocircle.com (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139506.0)
".....In January, 1970, Bob brought a complete amp to the McIntosh Clinic, where it tested at a bit over 350 watts RMS/channel, with very low distortion across the audio frequency band.”

http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/show...e-Linear-stuff?p=175906&viewfull=1#post175906

NOTE: A copy of the McIntosh report from the January 15, 1971 clinic is available as a jpg in this (Rare Phase Linear stuff) thread.

I also created a post "Coffee Can Amp/History of Seattle Area McIntosh clinics 1968-1971"
http://forums.phxaudiotape.com/show...e-Linear-stuff?p=173689&viewfull=1#post173689

In December 2015, I performed a on-line search of the Seattle Times newspapers for any McIntosh clinics in 1967 and couldn't find any. That's not to say there weren't any it's just that I couldn't locate any.

By the way, if my memory serves me correct, you told me an interesting story about listening to the tube amp on your birthday in November 1967. How much earlier did Bob complete the tube amp for you? Any idea what month the two of you would have brought it to Seattle Stereo?

Thanks!
Ed

Last edited:

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Someone recently posted a photo from the front of a Heil Sound catalog on Facebook.
I just happened to notice that there were (9) Phase Linear 700's in the photo.

See attached photo below.

Ed
The fellow that owns the catalog says he is in the process of moving and is willing to send it to me for free. If and when it arrives I will scan the entire catalog and post it here.

Ed

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Can't see the McIntosh, but 18 channels of 700's will run the 12 speaker systems in triamp mode if two cabinets are on one channel. I bet the cabinets were in series!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Good lord, Doc, the brown acid is bad...:tongue5:

WOW.

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
You're in the right place here Juikster! Keep poking around and get your drool bucket out, gonna need it. Welcome to Phoenix!

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Heil Sound System Catalog (Photo with 9 Phase Linear 700's)

Someone recently posted a photo from the front of a Heil Sound catalog on Facebook.
I just happened to notice that there were (9) Phase Linear 700's in the photo.

See attached photo below.

Ed

I received the Heil Sound catalog and scanned the pages.

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to compile them all into (1) pdf

Ed

Attachments

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
I have spoken on this subject before. Some people say the "coffee can" amp exists. Others do no not.

Two of the people who say it does not were Dave Ladely (Bob's former roommate) who was also the actual inspiration for the first 700 watt amp and Dave O'Brien who conducted the McIntosh clinics.

I met Dave O'Brien at A.P. Van Meter's house on several occasions. Dave and A.P. both worked together at McIntosh and were very good friends. Dave would come out every year around Thanksgiving for a week. I was invited over and asked Dave about the "coffee can" amp. His reply was that a "coffee can" amp refers to an open chassis. Dave did not recall seeing a Folger's coffee can as most people can imagine.

I have spoken to others who had heard from a friend of a friend that it did exist.

I first met Bob at a Speakerlab event when Sunfire still existed. I mentioned the "coffee can" amp and someone spoke up that there was an Sunfire ad in a Hi-Fi magazine with the amp in it. The magazine was sitting on the counter. The amp was in a brand new Folger's coffee can. You can find pictures of this beautiful coffee can on the Carver web site: http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/carversitegalleryamps.aspx

Until I see a real working amp firsthand....... well what am I to assume?

Ed

I was on the phone a couple days ago with a gentlemen in the Seattle area who I knew about decades ago but never talked to previously. He said that the coffee can amplifier did exist. He stated that he had a repair shop in the late 60's and early 70's and Bob would stop by his shop because Bob didn't have any test equipment at that time. He said that the amp was a bridge amp and that he saw (4) prototypes. I am not sure if it was the same amp (4) times or (4) separate amps. The 4th amplifier apparently worked and suddenly Bob became evasive about its workings. This gentlemen also stated that there were a bunch of his buddies who would hang out at the shop who also saw the amp. He couldn't recall any of their names. He is a well respected fellow and I trust his word on this. Now I wonder why Dave L and Dave O said that the coffee can amp didn't exist. Perhaps as the years went by their memories have faded?

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I was on the phone a couple days ago with a gentlemen in the Seattle area who I knew about decades ago but never talked to previously. He said that the coffee can amplifier did exist. He stated that he had a repair shop in the late 60's and early 70's and Bob would stop by his shop because Bob didn't have any test equipment at that time. He said that the amp was a bridge amp and that he saw (4) prototypes. I am not sure if it was the same amp (4) times or (4) separate amps. The 4th amplifier apparently worked and suddenly Bob became evasive about how its workings. This gentlemen also stated that there were a bunch of his buddies who would hang out at the shop who also saw the amp. He couldn't recall any of their names. He is a well respected fellow and I trust his word on this. Now I wonder why Dave L and Dave O said that the coffee can amp didn't exist. Perhaps as the years went by their memories have faded?
The days before the iPhone camera :)

Hope they don't find one on Oak Island...