Rare Phase Linear stuff

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
Phase Linear 201

"New" Phase Linear 201 amplifier prototype. It was developed after Series I and before Series II amps. According to Dean Nissen of PhaseTek this is the only copy ever built. Logically, no technical data is known. The type "201" suggests power ratings equivalent to 200 or 200 Series Two, i.e. of about 2 x 100 watts @ 8 ohms. The knobs and handles were later used in the 400 / 700 / D500 Series Two. Only the power switch was never installed as a standard.

Attachments

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Lee has a 400 with the gain knobs sitting in my garage. I wondered if it was a proto or one off myself. The meters are different also, same size in the bezel but totally different in physical dimensions

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
special versions of Phase Linear Amps for Pro Sound

Apparently there were 7 different special amps' versions made by Phase Linear factory (the list may not be reliable though):

- 400/700 Series 1 built for Heil Sound
- 700-HF Series 1 built for Bell Labs
- 700B Series 1 built for Clair Bros
- 700 Series 2 built for Clair Bros
- 700 PRO Series 2 built for AudioAnalysts
- 700 PRO MkIII modified specifically for Pink Floyd
- Dual-500 Series 2 modified specifically for Pink Floyd

Some pictures illustrating above are attached here...

Attachments

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The Milo mods were a different emitter resistors and Zoebel network caused a lot of stability problems. Any that came back to the factory were immediately changed back.

P.L.F.

Journeyman
Tagline
I love BIG amplifiers!
Phase Linear Blue Light 700 early version - anybody has seen them?

Here is what I came across while reading some articles on Phase Linear amps modded for P.A. It seems they were some kind of early models of the first commercial 700 Series I. Has anybody got some more info or a picture of them? Ed maybe?

[...] One of the first Phase Linear 700 amps, an early model with blue lights and only half the number of output transistors used in later units. [...]

source: http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/pdf/bass/BASS-17-05-9002.pdf

[...] The first time I’d heard amps “sing†was with a Phase Linear Blue Light 700 in 1978. At that time I thought an amp would blow up if driven without a load, until Mike Justin told me this was not the case, and demonstrated with the VU meters flopping and clicking away. The Blue Light 700s could light up a 1000 watt Par 64 to near full intensity on music peaks (we never did try a 60 HZ tone) the light filament made a lot more noise than the amp, though. [...]

source: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=111752.15;wap2

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
True Przem, the first 5 or 6 700's only had 16 output devices. Ed has some pics...

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Phase Linear 700 (Ultra Rare Bridge Amp)

Here is a photo I took of Bob Carver this afternoon with my Phase Linear 700 bridge amp (made in 1970). This was the very first generation of the Phase Linear 700 amplifier. Approximately (3) were built. This is the only known survivor. No known schematic exists.

Attachments

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Phase Linear 700 (Kelly DeYong) (Rare Second Generation Amp)

Here is a photo I took of Bob Carver this afternoon with my Phase Linear 700 (made in 1970) (a.k.a. Kelly DeYong 700 since Kelly DeYong ended up with some of them in Vancouver, BC). This was the second generation of the Phase Linear 700 amplifier. It came out after the "bridge amp" and before the PL0171 series pc board in 1971. Exact production numbers of this amp are unknown. This is the only known survivor at the moment. What is also unique about this amplifier are trimpots in the protection circuit. I also have a schematic.

Attachments