question for those who build wopls

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I never understood why the European DIN connectors never caught on in the USA.

mlucitt

I never understood why the European DIN connectors never caught on in the USA.
DIN stands for 'Deutsches Institut für Normung' which means 'German Institute of Standardization'. DIN develops norms and standards as a service to industry, to the state and to society as a whole. It is a registered non profit organization which has been based in Berlin since 1917.
Some of our parents had issues with these particular standards due to the activities of the Germans in 1939.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I use DIN rails every day to mount electromechanical relays in pump panels...way handy.

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
DIN stands for 'Deutsches Institut für Normung' which means 'German Institute of Standardization'. DIN develops norms and standards as a service to industry, to the state and to society as a whole. It is a registered non profit organization which has been based in Berlin since 1917.
Some of our parents had issues with these particular standards due to the activities of the Germans in 1939.
I connected a Philips reel deck to a Telefunken amp once- one single 5- pin DIN cable. Too damn easy! It seemed to me that the Euros had the right idea about audio interconnection, never saw it on our Japanese made components.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I was told (on old Kenwood anyway) sound quality is not as good via DIN as compared to RCA.

That was second hand so might have been false. I have DIN connections on my Kenwood open reel, cassette decks and integrated, though the integrated has only one DIN connection (tape 2 I think).

mlucitt