question for those who build wopls

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
You can but it is a step backwards from the RCA jacks in terms of coax shielding. Crown used them on their amps (one of the weak points) and they oxidize over time at the connection points requiring spinning of the connections to remove the nickel oxide. Kind of like you have to do with the batteries in your remote from time to time. Nickel oxide is a very good insulator.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
square body cause I dint want a plastic 4x4
ok thanks I did not know that. the reason I ask is the link I posted is for a stereo or trs input balanced input but if they are junk then that is off the table.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
Some use them for balanced input but it is not the preferred balanced connector, XLR is.
yes I agree and please tell me if I am wrong here but I think a sock pl chassis and even the chassis that you sell can not fit xlr jacks

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
yes I agree and please tell me if I am wrong here but I think a sock pl chassis and even the chassis that you sell can not fit xlr jacks
No room for them without messing up the binding post placement for Don's DC protect board.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
You can go high-end and get mini locking three-pin connectors from that Swiss company that makes the dreadful CAMAC connectors Mark loved. I actually want to use the mini 3-pin ones on my turntable because I want to run balanced from the cartridge.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
You can go high-end and get mini locking three-pin connectors from that Swiss company that makes the dreadful CAMAC connectors Mark loved. I actually want to use the mini 3-pin ones on my turntable because I want to run balanced from the cartridge.
I might look into that

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
My 400 has TR inputs, was that way when I bought it. I just use adapters to rca, no benefit to me to have anything but RCAs, maybe for a sound reinforcement use, but not a great use for a 40+ year old amp.

Michael F

Journeyman
Tagline
---
If you
If you are going through the trouble of replacing the input connectors to something other that RCA or TRS, skip Ebay and get something decent from the likes of Neutrik, Switchcraft or Amphenol.
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMv0W4pxf2HiV09RKlzQ9FaYmnOspaxlEzA=
The Ebay link shows a male connector which is the wrong gender for an input.

K-5BLAZER

Journeyman
Tagline
If you

If you are going through the trouble of replacing the input connectors to something other that RCA or TRS, skip Ebay and get something decent from the likes of Neutrik, Switchcraft or Amphenol.
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Amphenol-Audio/AG3FCE?qs=sGAEpiMZZMv0W4pxf2HiV09RKlzQ9FaYmnOspaxlEzA=
The Ebay link shows a male connector which is the wrong gender for an input.
yes you are right the male chassis mount is wrong but I was thinking since I already have an unbalanced to balanced converter that I am running right now that I wish to trade or sell and the chassis can not fit a full size xlr and I already cables I thought why not get a female xlr to mini female xlr and then get mini male chassis jacks I did not really do much searching but I did not find a female xlr to male mini xlr and I did not find a female xlr chassis jack

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
only trouble I ever have is with XLR’s... I have a couple items with them, same with my friends shop system...

AngrySailor

Tagline
---not quite right
What's the trouble? Bad solder in the connectors?
Seems to be the sockets. They probably been wrenched around over the years due to the huge connector hanging out of them. Always seem to have to wiggle them or tie them over to the side to maintain good connection. I don’t use them much so never really dig any deeper.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Just change them. Metal body Neutrik ones are not that expensive when you buy ten or so at a time. The plastic ones usually fail early.

Right-angle cord ends can help too.