PTFE Insulated Stranded Silver-Plated Wire

NavLinear

Veteran and General Yakker
Dennis, can you make TT wire from your silver stuff. I'd like to get my Technics 1200mk2 arm rewired. Looks like 5 wires whatever the length of the arm + whatever needed to get down to where they are soldered. Maybe 18-20" each to insure enough length
Ron - from what I've seen and read the wire gauge used in a tone arm is 33 AWG and smaller. The smallest gauge I presently have is 26 gauge and weight is a consideration along with wire diameter for terminations. Here's a link to Needle Doctor as an example of what is available - they're one of the authorized dealers of Cardas wire.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Cardas-Custom-Tonearm-Cable

I'll check into bulk costs. If the cost isn't too high...

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Dennis, is that per single wire price? It shows a bundle in the image but I would need 5 wires right?

NavLinear

Dennis, is that per single wire price? It shows a bundle in the image but I would need 5 wires right?
That's for four wires Ron. I'm wondering if your fifth wire is actually a shield. If so Cardas sells that too. I'll take a look and see what is available. Have you looked at the wire bundle/cable in your turn table?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I rewired a Black Widow tone arm a few weeks back and for 18" of 33AWG Litz 4 wire, it was like $40. There are a few tricks you need to practice to be able to solder that to the connectors for the cart. I used a piece of the original to make the ground which does NOT run in the tube (wouldn't have done any good anyway since the tube is carbon fiber). and even a bundle of 33 gauge is a mofo to thread down the length and it has to have a perfectly straight lay so it don't bind up the pivot where it comes out. I would have used 34 but I couldn't see it, and it was way more expensive. You may be able to use shielded on the fatter Technics tone arm but I wouldn't. And no Caffeine the morning of the operation.

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
I rewired a Black Widow tone arm a few weeks back and for 18" of 33AWG Litz 4 wire, it was like $40. There are a few tricks you need to practice to be able to solder that to the connectors for the cart. I used a piece of the original to make the ground which does NOT run in the tube (wouldn't have done any good anyway since the tube is carbon fiber). and even a bundle of 33 gauge is a mofo to thread down the length and it has to have a perfectly straight lay so it don't bind up the pivot where it comes out. I would have used 34 but I couldn't see it, and it was way more expensive. You may be able to use shielded on the fatter Technics tone arm but I wouldn't. And no Caffeine the morning of the operation.
Did you seperate the wires or did you leave them braided running in the tube and only seperate them at the ends? I was thinking of doing this to an SME I have. I'm not sure it needs it, but I was going to replace the knife-edge bearings that SME uses and figured since I had it that far apart I might as well do it right the first time.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Don't use Tefzel or Teflon wiring in tone arms or other ultra low voltage pickups especially where motion is involved. Static build up occurs and you end up with random popping noises as it discharges.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Did you seperate the wires or did you leave them braided running in the tube and only seperate them at the ends? I was thinking of doing this to an SME I have. I'm not sure it needs it, but I was going to replace the knife-edge bearings that SME uses and figured since I had it that far apart I might as well do it right the first time.
Has to stay braided or it wont fit.