Problems with deleting on Outlook Express

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
When deleting e-mails out of my inbox it's extremely slow. and when group deleting more than 4 it locks up.....any suggestions??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
No takers eh?? I have 1700 unread e-mails and deleting one at a time is a pain..

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
No takers eh?? I have 1700 unread e-mails and deleting one at a time is a pain..
I don't know of any method Lee other than deleting your entire mailbox which you probably do not desire to do.

Is this on your new, fast computer that you are having this problem?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Of course not Joe, my old XP. When I try the "shift" thing to mass delete a bunch of junk it just locks up after moving about 4 to the deleted items folder. I'm running I-Map so Jani can share the same e-mail on her computer. so i have to purge items from the iinbox after they are moved but it hasn't been a problem till now...

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
We just like seeing you suffer Lee. Isn't there a select all button, then deselect the ones you want to save and hit delete...of course that 's in a perfect world and you will probably freeze up again in which case ignore this post, never happened.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Appreciate the empathy Dave...my computer problems seem unique to my situation...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
That's because you still use an email program developed in the 1980s...try importing your account to live.com or some other webmail site.

(That's what you call Outlook webmail)

I don't recommend Yahoo for anything but a spam bucket and safety net when you register for sites and certainly not any Lycos sites.

I'm not being a smartaleck, my ISP gave me an ultimatum 5 years ago and I moved to Hotmail, which was ended and became Windows Live Mail along the way (live.com). I looked at Mozilla-based browsers once and wasn't thrilled with how AOHell had neutered Netscape and so that is the route I took with IE back then.

Web, WHY haven't you gotten Lee into at least Windows 7 yet? IE 11 has it's phun moments but it's probably like Vista, only working and by god I like 7.

Last edited:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hi Lee,
I have dumped Outlook products due to erratic behavior when dealing with large files. I am currently using the free Firefox program and have used it for a number of years. My E mail get a lot due to the business. My E mail profile usually is about 20 GB. Let's see Outlook handle that.
Firefox will import mail from these programs.
If you have that much unread mail is it junk- then you might as well define it as jnk and it can be set to delete itself after a defined time.
I have used FF on the Win 7 computer now and the many XP computers in background. I have at least 6 computers set up at home with business files on all of them.

Another nice item with FF is that if you set up a computer that is new and want to get all your E mail over to that computer, you just copy the profile to the right directory and edit the ini file to point to that profile name. Then next time you start it the mail is all there. Using 31.4 right now.

There is a way to synchronize two computer too although I have not done a lot with that.
I think you should set it up and give it a try. Once the profile is created with the server settings
the copied over profile has all that so it just works with any of many different computers.

I have used Web mail from many different sources and it is always lame. Web mail is the favorite of those that don't know computer too well. It lacks a lot of features and is difficult to use. Always convoluted steps to do a simple task.

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Jer built a very fast, very nice computer for me. Came with everything I need. This is on my old XP, first computer and only computer I had owned. I guess I'm real used to sucking on this tittie.....

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Jer built a very fast, very nice computer for me. Came with everything I need. This is on my old XP, first computer and only computer I had owned. I guess I'm real used to sucking on this tittie.....
You have to make the migration, though painful Lee. Every one hates data migration, it is a PIA.

You are running into a database size limitation of Outlook Express, it chokes when the DB reaches a certain size. Seems you are there.

I migrated to Outlook a long time ago because they made it industrial strength over the years and does not have those DB limitations (anymore). That plus your old hardware cannot keep up anymore with even XP.

I have a backup PC that still runs XP but it is dog slow for the same reason as yours is, the software has choked it to death.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
You can probably boot up into safe mode and open the program and trying deleting the ones you don't want. The computer should have more resources available in safe mode and hopefully the computer wont lock up.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
Reboot the computer and after the bios screens flash by tap the F8 key and a menu will pop up allowing you to boot into the safe mode. You computer i nthe sae mode will skip loading your start up configuration and a ton of device drivers. Hopefully in the minimal mode you will be able to delete the emails you want to get rid of.

When you are done you will simply need to reboot back to the normal start up.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I have to differ with the comment on XP. Up until a few months ago I had A64Net1 working on XP and it still does fine with just a simple AMP64 single processor CPU. There are a lot of reasons for slowness and many come from things you can resolve. Things like Fragmented drives, Lack of memory and then there are the ever crash causing capacitors on the motherboards.
My Wifes computer started shutting off after a short time. I built it so I know what was in the unit- it is a AMD Dual core 5000. Looking at the power supply I found a puffed cap and then on the motherboard another. After changing them out no problems. The change is not easy but if you don't want to spring for another MB and new memory and processor package, it is better repaired.
I have had many XP on different model work perfectly fine and so there is no reason that OS can not do the job well. The software I use now for maintenance is Glary Utilities. it does a wonderful job.