Problem w/Teac A 3300S

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
So how are you proceeding. The deck works other than those two big annoying things. Some recommend taking the switch apart and see if the the latch is just stuck. I suspect that it broken - it is inline with the luck I have with such things.

Dan

Last edited:

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
No need to take the switch apart which will be the destruction of the switch. In the units I have taken apart the ramp of plastic on the actuator was sheered off even though no chemicals were used to clean it. It does not make sense to try and fix such a switch when new ones are possible to be mounted however, you will find out that the switch assembly does not come out of the machine with such ease. You better have switches in hand before taking the deck apart to this extent. If you get the right switches and I have around 250 pairs here now with wrong mount bracket they can still be put in at our shop but there is some metal cutting of the U mount channel to make then fit. That is why I was happy to get the right parts until I went to put them in and China strikes again. How these people can be so incompetent is just beyond belief- I sent them a picture of the switch with a rule and hole showing 20mm centers of 3mm threaded holes.

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
No need to take the switch apart which will be the destruction of the switch. In the units I have taken apart the ramp of plastic on the actuator was sheered off even though no chemicals were used to clean it. It does not make sense to try and fix such a switch when new ones are possible to be mounted however, you will find out that the switch assembly does not come out of the machine with such ease. You better have switches in hand before taking the deck apart to this extent. .
That's what I figured, so I plugged the connectors back on and reinstalled it back into both cases.

If you get the right switches and I have around 250 pairs here now with wrong mount bracket they can still be put in at our shop but there is some metal cutting of the U mount channel to make then fit. That is why I was happy to get the right parts until I went to put them in and China strikes again. How these people can be so incompetent is just beyond belief- I sent them a picture of the switch with a rule and hole showing 20mm centers of 3mm threaded holes.
So do you have a supplier who can build and ship the correct parts? If so, please keep me in mind when you place that order sir!!!!

Dan

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I do have the supplier but they are suppose to be sending me the correct mount brackets but then on 496 switches they need to be exchanged and I don't see that as being too much fun. The switches are here the mounting bracket is the problem until the new ones come in. The shipping from China during this Pandemic was like $140 for just the three pounds. That was besides the cost of the switches.

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
I do have the supplier but they are suppose to be sending me the correct mount brackets but then on 496 switches they need to be exchanged and I don't see that as being too much fun. The switches are here the mounting bracket is the problem until the new ones come in. The shipping from China during this Pandemic was like $140 for just the three pounds. That was besides the cost of the switches.
So the switches cannot be used because the bracket they are attached to is incorrectly fabricated, or are the switches themselves also incorrectly fabricated?

Wow what a mess!!!

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
The switches are fine and do work well. The stupid thing they did is send me 500 switch with 25mm centers on the mounting bracket. When you go to screw that into a Teac deck guess what? They are suppose to be sending me new metal brackets to be put onto the switches. I am still waiting.
A mess is what you get from China in most cases, If a mistake can be made they will find it. They are not technically superior but have just sold us the most junk. At some point they will be identified for that level of production and we will either go back to Japan or Germany or maybe even Poland. Almost anyone can do a better job than China.

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
Someone on another forum suggested Teac service (I cannot remember where that forum is, ugh).

I contacted them and found they were acquired by Onkyo. Struck out - They will not sell me a part, and will only go through authorized service centers.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
What part are you trying to get? I have found Onkyo service a total waste of time to contact as the parts were all already been thrown out as observed by a person who worked there- the other parts is just lies to keep from having customers get mad. I have a lot of parts in my shop.

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
What part are you trying to get? I have found Onkyo service a total waste of time to contact as the parts were all already been thrown out as observed by a person who worked there- the other parts is just lies to keep from having customers get mad. I have a lot of parts in my shop.

The same ones we were discussing earlier - Reel Size and Tape Speed switches. I posted that update, to synchronize anyone lurking on here with my same problem and gets the same cue to contact them.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Reel size and Tape speed switches have never failed in the A series. The ones I was talking about are for the X1000R. You can not equate things from different decades .
I have the correct switches that they sent to me so I am ready to sell the 20mm center switches but due to slight cost increase the cost is $12.00 per pair. The postage in US is $8.30. I have them in bags ready to go out and about 30 pairs have been set up to sell. Funny thing is I have had no requests all this time even though I did not know the brackets were wrong. When I went to use one that is when I found out. Well the old 25mm switches are in containers and I will use the switches over time.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
It is best to specify what we are talking about- this post has covered tape slivers coming off, to A3300 decks then now the X1000R switches. It can be confusing to try and answer when the subject is not clear.

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
Reel size and Tape speed switches have never failed in the A series. The ones I was talking about are for the X1000R. You can not equate things from different decades .
I have the correct switches that they sent to me so I am ready to sell the 20mm center switches but due to slight cost increase the cost is $12.00 per pair. The postage in US is $8.30. I have them in bags ready to go out and about 30 pairs have been set up to sell. Funny thing is I have had no requests all this time even though I did not know the brackets were wrong. When I went to use one that is when I found out. Well the old 25mm switches are in containers and I will use the switches over time.
I was not trying to be confusing. My original post to this thread linked the two things with my question regarding a A3300 switch I saw on ePrey being possibly compatible with my X-1000R which you previously and clearly answered in the negative - not compatible.

I am still confused though by the "20mm center" and "25mm center" switch and bracket part of your discussion. My original intent was to replace these switches in my unit, by unsoldering and removing from any hardware to which they are attached. I suppose the least ambiguous questions I can ask are these:

1. Do you have the switches for the Team X-1000R Tape Speed and Reel Size Functions (fit both the existing circuit board and mounting bracket) for sale in stock?

and

2. If the answer to question #1 is "Yes", how would you prefer to be paid to ship a pair to Fort Worth TX?

Again, please accept my apologies for the confusion.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Hi Dan,
I shall clarify this here. The 25mm switch brackets are the wrong ones to mount in a X1000R or any Teac deck. The 20mm switch bracket is the correct one. The switches are exactly the same and solder directly into the board in both positions. The 20mm bracket is of necessity as the two screw holes that hold and mount that entire PCB is done so through the outer two screw holes that take 3mm screws to go through the long sub mount plate into the threaded 20mm holes the switch bracket has. If you try and mount the PCB with 25mm switch bracket the holes you are suppose to screw into
is not there and so the mistake they made is immediately found out. If you get two of these switches and solder them into the board the two screw holes to mount everything are as if you got an original part. The total cost is $12/Pr of switches plus the $8.30 Priority postage which will get the switches to you in 2 or 3 days. I have a Paypal account the most people pay for gears and switches through the friends method and I send them out the same or next postal day. I have been selling the Gear C item for at least a couple of years now World wide.
Paypal add= skywavebe@sbcglobal.net and then send me the postal address to speed things along. I use Quickbooks for invoice not Paypals system.

Attachments

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Following this along it should be noted that I did get the 20mm switches in hand and sell them for about the price of one of the guys switches on e bay. So two switches for $12.00 and the postage is $8.30. I now get a feeling the postage will be going up again. It seems that USPS and Fed Ex have taken advantage of this Pandemic to raise prices a lot and then they might wonder why people stop using their service.

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
Hi Sam. I am very late to reply here for everyone to see, but of course you know the switches you sent worked perfectly. Installing was a breeze and the deck is now totally functional. Thank you so much for that!!!.

I have a buyer's advice question now. I have been given a TEAC A-2340R four channel deck and would like to replace it with the "best" 10 inch deck I can find. Best being of course a mix of performance, features, age, durability and price. I've been looking at TEAC A-3340 series, TEAC A-3440 series and Tascam 34B. Are there others I should consider or a standout among those I have already listed?

Thanks in advance, once again.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
All of those pail next to the Tascam 44OB. The 44OB is the one to get if you can find one and afford it. The 2340R is a Quad deck but not a multitrack that can do sync recording so to a musician this is not worth it. It does have auto reverse though for 4 track stereo tapes. The 3440 deck is a better deck in it workings but it does have a DC capstan motor in it that gives you pitch control over the AC motor decks but DC motors which also include the 34 and 34B deck do not last forever. The 44OB had DC too but that is a direct drive $467 motor in it.

kl0neMan

Journeyman
Tagline
My race is almost run.
>>
All of those pail next to the Tascam 44OB.
<<

Thank you sir,

I will be on the lookout for the Tascam 440B on your suggestion.