Power conditioners/surge protectors

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
I've been wanting to start a thread on this for a while to see what everyone recommends, is using and what is not necessary and maybe some pics of your setup (everyone loves pics).

After living in South Florida (for way too many years) the lightning capital of the US, I have gotten a custom to using surge protectors and battery backups as the norm. After losing 3 power supplies in a brand new 52" Sharp flat screen in as many months (luckily covered under warranty) I looked for a solution in surge protection. While doing some web research I found most newer electronics are very sensitive to surges not just audio and video but items like refrigerators, ranges and dishwashers which all have circuit boards now.

With all that being said, how sensitive are the PL700II/400's, 70's and 80's preamp, and ultimately our updated WOPL's to standard AC line fluctuations and surges and will a line conditioner help a lot, somewhat, or not at all (just like a survey).

I am currently using APC smart UPS's that has kept my current Sharp 52" flat screen alive now for going on 10 years. This line of UPS's are the "line interactive" type of UPS and not the cheapo standby UPS that output a modified sine wave after switching, these produce pure sine wave and the inverter is always connected. While these can be pricey depending on what size UPS ($400-$600) they are abundant on the C'list with dead batteries and a refresh with new batteries you can get in one for less than a $100 if your lucky.

Thoughts everyone? Any input we would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
The APC is great if you want a UPS. It will provide all the surge suppression you will need. If you wanted just a good surge suppressor, TII Industries use to make some nice wall units.
Their newer MOV based suppressors were good too, but for the best surge suppression, my favorite is still their old gas discharge tube wall unit. When the voltage or current gets too high the gas in the tube ionizes and the connection is broken. Overvoltage goes away, gas reconnects. Nothing to fry. Just gas in a tube. TII use to make it in a wall outlet versions. I use one. Still see them sold used. Then they made a solid state one, have one of those too. It was good, but they stopped making those consumer products. You can still get a MOV based in wall unit:
http://www.tiitech.com/products.php?cat=10
EMC-240B

or if you need a coax gas discharge tube suppressor:
https://www.amazon.com/TII-210-Coax...4001770&sr=8-5&keywords=cable+surge+protector
Just some food for thought. Stick with your APC, you'll be fine.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I'm also starting to use an APC G5BLK surge suppressor, rack mount unit in my new system. So far, so good. Like its delay start program features.

Attachments

Last edited:

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Thanks Netfly for your input.

I will look into that APC unit as I like the idea of of delayed start up, I'm running 2 WOPL's on a single 20amp circuit. I was looking at the Adcom ACE-515 a while back but the APC looks like a good unit.

By the way your system looks great.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thanks. I found you can leave the APC set to current display and it will show what the system is drawing all the time, nice. The unit I use is only 15A. I'm not coming close to that, even with the TV. They do make a 20A. More expensive by a lot. Found this one on Ebay used for $50. I like the current readout feature so much, I may just get another for the other system.