Possible proper Snake Oil? New product from CHORD....

Tagline
A clear conscience is actually a bad memory.
I am not sure what to make of this new product from CHORD, it is a new fluid that apparently increases connectivity for your cables...

£200 for 10ml ...

https://www.whathifi.com/news/chord-...ale+Newsletter

My ears and my system would not benefit from this, however some of you wonderful people with better systems and better ears may? And lots of spare foldie stuff to burn!!

PC

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
There is a cheaper product we have been using for decades:

448b8684-4aa7-4a39-830a-ce2de9c53cfa_1.19bd95fd10839f14c218afcaac32a0e8.jpeg

I think with that CHORD product, it's meant to be used, only, after the connection points receive a pre-treatment, also being sold for £200 for 10ml .

And then all is for naught if you have your uni-directional RCA patch cord connected in the opposite direction.

DSC06577.jpg

Nando.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
I am not sure what to make of this new product from CHORD, it is a new fluid that apparently increases connectivity for your cables...

£200 for 10ml ...

https://www.whathifi.com/news/chord-...ale+Newsletter

My ears and my system would not benefit from this, however some of you wonderful people with better systems and better ears may? And lots of spare foldie stuff to burn!!

PC
Been using DeoxIT Gold for that, happy with it's abilities, fair price and seems to last forever. Back in the 70's and 80's especially if you didn't use dielectric grease on spark plugs wires give up on getting them off undamaged. Still using it today on all sparking bolt wires.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
I just scored some Cardas contact oil. I'd sell that stuff cheep, but, it looks like regular oil! As I ponder things, I wonder if the oil coats silver and copper preventing oxidation? I don't think anything would help gold, but I have no experience with Deoxit gold.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Any kind of oil, grease and other such things help stop oxidation but I'm not interested in having that material on or near the stereo or electrical components but the DeoxIT Gold supposedly does fill in the microscopic gaps and makes the interconnects easier to put on and remove plus it dries without leaving a mess. The company seems to know their products and how to make them work properly. At least the ones I've used.

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
I think I saw this elsewhere- maybe AK...

if the plating is actually gold, it won’t oxidize. If it’s silver, it doesn’t matter much if it oxidizes, since silver oxide is conductive. The only conductive oxide I know of (on this planet anyway).

So, I suggest cleaning with IPA before connecting, and leaving it alone after. Any perceived (or verifiable) improvement is probably from the act of disconnecting and then reconnecting with the snake oil in place.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I'm not sure that it matters if you oil a snake, they don't stay still for long.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have this little tool given to me by Doug F.. It cleans the male and female RCA connections. I take my entire system apart once a year for a deep-cleaning and use this tool to clean all the connection points.

075ac068-aa39-4bd1-9d5d-17caec95ad50_zpsrxzcvocj.jpg
1dd6d03a-7597-4b40-b63b-6a3ef03c727d_zpspifj0s4r.jpg

Nando.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
I think I saw this elsewhere- maybe AK...

if the plating is actually gold, it won’t oxidize. If it’s silver, it doesn’t matter much if it oxidizes, since silver oxide is conductive. The only conductive oxide I know of (on this planet anyway).

So, I suggest cleaning with IPA before connecting, and leaving it alone after. Any perceived (or verifiable) improvement is probably from the act of disconnecting and then reconnecting with the snake oil in place.
The thing I like about the DeOxitis it makes the connectors easier to take on an off which with some of the RCA's help keep them from destruction, they ain't made like they used to be.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof