Playing with the Sony TC-580 R2R

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Congratulations, she's a peach!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi Perry: What's the story on how you came upon the Sony R2R?

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Hey Nando........ not much of a backstory. One of the local gear hosers I do a lot of work for (he owns a few of my WOPL's and some pre's, and a few speakers I built, plus more), found a new Teac in the box at the thrift store sitting next to the Sony and bought them both for like $52. So he came by and gave me the Sony and kept the Teac in the box.... he took it home a year go and its still in the box. The Sony I had in the shop and I used it to test amps and preamps out. I am definitely going to upgrade asap.

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Hey Perry, I used to have that same deck and it went to someone in Canada many years ago. If you need a good deck, LMK. I have a Teac A-2300SD Dolby deck I am not using now. It was refurbed a few years ago and cosmetically is gorgeous to boot

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's an exceptional find by your friend. My first foray into open-reel was about 14 years ago. Similar story, as I saw two R2Rs at the local mini flea market. I bought the first one for $50 and headed back to pick up the 2nd one the same day, but it had already sold. The one I got was an Akai GX-747, and the other was a 10.5 Teac, but I can't remember the model #. I later found out who bought it and he is someone I worked with in the past.

I sold the GX-747 for good coin a few years back to fund another vintage audio component.

Nothing beats having a big 10.5" open-reel deck humping along at 15 i.p.s.. I recently upgraded to a Pioneer RT-2044.

Good luck on your next purchase, Perry. I'm sure you will find something that meets your expectations.

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
A guy here (well, 200 miles up the road in Phoenix) has a beautiful 2044 like yours. What a gorgeous rig. I want it......

Thanks Nando.

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just added this to the stable. I need some NAB hub adapters, a couple 10.5" reels and figure out which tape to buy. She'll get a recap, a lube and cleaning, some pinch rollers and if it needs work, off she'll go to get the big service. I got a good deal on it so I can spend a few to get it right.

Tascam 42NB

s-l1600.jpg

Tagline
Retired
works nice, great shape too. She's got a dingy in the side but otherwise nice.

View attachment 33068 View attachment 33069
I picked up a couple of 580's a few years ago. One was a parts deck. The better of the two needed its heads lapped and it had a broken board. Finally the tech ended up with one nice running deck. That's also a nice Tascam you picked up. Good luck with it. Hope it served you well.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Just got the Tascam 42NB off the FedEx truck..... I'll open the box in the morning...... Keeping my fingers crossed. The Sony TC-580 needs service and a good cleaning. Time to dig up a Service manual and a screwdriver.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I should have the service manual for the 42NB tomorrow. I pow-wow'd with the Expert on the Tascams and he gave me some pointers. He said to skip the recap, he said they were made with all top notch stuff. I did look it over for a minute or 2. It needs pinch roller re-rubber since they are getting gooey. As soon as I finish this 4000t and WOPL for a customer, which will be complete in the next couple days, I'll devote some time to the R2R. I got a lot of reading to do. Actuslly, I should have read the specs and seen how much that bitch weighs... I almost loaded the proverbial drawers when I had to move it... 70 plus Lbs... And me with a bum shoulder....