PL700 WOPLable?

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Has anyone built a WOPL700 on one of Joes new chassis? I've been reading all of the PL700 threads I can find & I think Lee commented once that the PL700 faceplate will fit the new 700b chassis?
If I stay original ish and just re populated control board, will
Don's WA relay board fit right in ( orig chassis) same as a 700b?
The seller say's the amp runs great & it's tempting to try..............but I know.................IT'S A TIME BOMB! Heh....Heh
pl700 001 (Medium).JPG

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Brad I've never fit a Ser I faceplate to a WhiteOak chassis. I did do some measuring one time, but I would confirm with Joe...

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
As some of you know that have a 700 in pristine shape. I had bought a chassis and heat sinks from Joe to rebuild it completely. I in turn used them to make a black faced 700B.
At this time I have decided to keep it as close to original as possible on the outside with new modern guts. So original chassis heatsinks face plate and meters.
I will populate with new TO-3 sockets and all new wiring and control board. Don’s DC protection board looks like it will fit the binding post hole spacing.

Bradrock Pm me if you want a wiring harness as I can do an other while building mine.

Purple Phase Linear 700

New Around These Parts
Tagline
I like loud music reading esoteric philosophy
I am here because I heard the WOPL upgrade is greatest of all time!!!!! I truly believe this I have owned Phase Linear Amplifiers since 1977 I have 29 of them this is the cure for all of nasty problems I have had in the past with these amplifiers!!! Don't get me wrong I love the amps!! WOPL has addressed all the short cummings that these amps have had in the past and present!!!! I truly excited about White Oak Phase Linear Upgrade!!!
By the way the meters in the PL 700 are a nightmare they actually don't fit right!!! If you lose the hardware that holds them in basically two screws
two flat pieces of metal hold the meters in!!! The 700 chassis is nearly identical to the 700B Chassis I know because I have six of them I did not do measurements or specs!!! I just eyeballed it

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I just measured the chassis for the 700 series one. The white oak chassis and it are very close in size shape and bolt pattern. The only thing that is not the same is the heat sink hole spacing. I went through This question with Joe some time ago and
Then bought the chassis and heat sinks to do the job.

I just could not bring myself to change it over from original as it is my first PH. I will put in a WhiteOak rev. D board to match the descrete output of the the original board.

Check with Joe but my understanding is you need the chassis and new heat sinks to make a full WhiteOak upgrade backplate and control board. Don’s DCP board should fit either chassis. The transformers in the series one units are very stout and should last for years to come. Ed probably can give us more info on them.

Last edited: