PL400 Complete Rebuild and Assembly Slide Show

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Joe,

Thanks for the links. That is a great reference.

Can you comment on best practices for routing the transformer AC primary wires. Your reference shows placing one along the middle of the left backplane PCB and the other around the front of the bulk caps.

Can I assume, yes I used that word… that if you run wires out and back tightly grouped together, limited AC coupling occurs with surrounding components?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Joe,

Thanks for the links. That is a great reference.

Can you comment on best practices for routing the transformer AC primary wires. Your reference shows placing one along the middle of the left backplane PCB and the other around the front of the bulk caps.

Can I assume, yes I used that word… that if you run wires out and back tightly grouped together, limited AC coupling occurs with surrounding components?

Correct, and run midships on the backplane. That keeps the paired run away from the sensitive, low level input circuitry at the top of the control board.

e30m3mon

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Is there any type recommended or "best" suited for the inputs - or are there factors such as impedance, etc that would be used in favor over another?

I while back RG318 was thought to be a best candidate; I bought some of it and have been using that for my rebuilds.

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I circumcise the outer insulation with a safety razor blade being careful not knick the shield. Then tease the braid apart with a sharp pointy Xacto blade. Then use normal wire strippers to remove the inner insulation. Twist the strands, and tin.
I buy remnant spools of Belden 83284 milspec RG-316. Using it in all my amps for the RCA to control board wiring. And for various interconnect cables with RCAs and BNCs. Good stuff.