PL36 ?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Either way, the PL-36 boards appear to be all the same, just some of the items that get populated may not be populated on other boards. My manual shows what was done starting with serial # XXX, so there are at least 2 different board populations with the 700, and PROBABLY 2 for the 400. The manual also shows which components. I don't fuck with this BS because White Oak has the answers in their kits. Why mess with this old JUNK when there is WOAD taking orders to bring your amp into the 23rd century.... HUH?

MusicSteve

Journeyman
Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
Why didn't you buy this board from me OFF ebay. Had I known it was you, I would have cut you a way better deal.
How much for the 4 boards? or 2?
One of the boards their has 3-wires coming off the board, do you know what they are?
Thanks
Steve

Last edited:

George S.

The black power resistors on the 700 Pro board i posted the photo of are manufactured by Dale. I saw Sniff had a few of those on a couple boards he was selling. Might be worth pursuing those in place of the cement resistors. Probably very expensive and hard to find but might be worthwhile. Guess it depends on how they're used in that circuit.

Tagline
Always Thinking Outside The Box.
Oh hey guys I was wondering if they are basically same board I can see it’s populated different that the pl36 for a 700 series 2. I just was trying to learn how many different iterations there might be and the interchangeability I know is a tall question lol .
The the boards can be modified for 3-differant configs Original 36
1. Quad (I think their the same for 700II and 400II)
Full- same setup for both But
2. Full for 400II w different components, mainly Resistors
3. Full for 700II w different components, mainly Resistors
10 - Later Phase Linear made another board for Full Comp Board only
w in the board w different components for the 400II and 700II (700II is the one you have)
Note - The 7.5K resistors should be Metal Oxide Resistors 5watt 7.5K
also check out Parts express has clearces sale on resistor
https://www.parts-express.com/electronic-parts/resistors-potentiometers/metal-oxide-resistors

So what are you doing now? what type?
1. Quad Comp
2. Full 400II
3. Full 700II

Greg

Journeyman
The the boards can be modified for 3-differant configs Original 36
1. Quad (I think their the same for 700II and 400II)
Full- same setup for both But
2. Full for 400II w different components, mainly Resistors
3. Full for 700II w different components, mainly Resistors
10 - Later Phase Linear made another board for Full Comp Board only
w in the board w different components for the 400II and 700II (700II is the one you have)
Note - The 7.5K resistors should be Metal Oxide Resistors 5watt 7.5K
also check out Parts express has clearces sale on resistor
https://www.parts-express.com/electronic-parts/resistors-potentiometers/metal-oxide-resistors

So what are you doing now? what type?
1. Quad Comp
2. Full 400II
3. Full 700II
Hey Thanks Yes Im attempting full 700II yes i ordered Metal oxide resistors thank you for tip

George S.

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking those black Dale power resistors on my 700 Pro board are wire wound silicone coated. When I get home I'll take a look. Should know tonight or tomorrow morning.

George S.

Vishay Dale CW-5 7.5 K ohm 5%. Wirewound, silicone covered. Including a backlit shot to show the heat damage to a nearby trace that's been repaired, and a link to the data sheet listing the CW-5.
https://www.digikey.com/en/datasheets/vishay-dale/vishay-dale-cw
Surprisingly cheap and in stock at Mouser. I like Glenn's solution, but don't see any heat damage on the board from these.

Attachments

George S.

Greg, after seeing the repaired trace for the first time, and thinking about it, I'm unsure if those Dale resistors are origonal. The amp was made in appx 1980, but had been updated in appx 1990 with new storage caps and outputs. The board also has one new cap and new resistors over those hot spots. The way they continued to cut costs, there were probably cement resistors there originally just like all the other boards have.
Good luck on your project.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Something to consider, which would require revising the board layout, would be to use vertical mounted resistors. This would reduce space. Using 2 x 5 watt series resistors for each application (a total of 4 ) would further reduce heating while taking up less space.
1671383779004.png

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Well I have just eliminated the dropping resistors now and put in proper regulators. Night and day in heat output. I still feel Joes boards are the way to go. Bin listening to the Black 700b. It’s over the top. 020DD545-F151-4D43-90CE-418416BD6894.png

Last edited: