PL 700B WhiteOak-which mods to do?

spitfun

Journeyman
I have a 700B and a tech willing to do the mods for me,which mods are you guys recommending to have done for reliability and sound quality improvements from the White Oak website? Thanks Rich

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
There are 3-4 excellent rebuilders on this forum that will do you proud, with pictures and results to prove it. Why wouldn't you consider them to do the work?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I have a 700B and a tech willing to do the mods for me,which mods are you guys recommending to have done for reliability and sound quality improvements from the White Oak website? Thanks Rich

Do ALL of them. Don't cheap out or half-job it. Do the full blown mods and then you'll have NO 40 year old PL junk left in it.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If you get talked into keeping backplanes, that is your biggest mistake. Old wiring? Yer screwed. Old control board..... Holy shit.........

Replace all that shit and you'll own the last amp you'll ever need/want. THE BEST!!!!

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I would consider having someone on the forum do the work,the advantage in my local tech is he lives next door-no shipping!!

A next door neighbor tech who's never seen a WOPL before will not put a worthy amp out until he's built a few. It's the little things. And quit worrying about $130 for shipping and insurance. If yer worried about that, stop and get a sony surround machine. Spend the money, it's the cheapest amp that will last you 30 years.

mlucitt

If you let Hexis22 do your upgrades, you will not only own a work of art - you will also have an amplifier that is better than anything currently available under $50,000. You will want to put that amplifier in your will and pass it down to the next generation if they value Made in USA value and the highest quality hand-made audio product capable of producing the most subtle sound attributes or generating Police-at-your-house levels of concert quality sound. Seriously, sign the blank check, take out a loan, or rob a bank. Best investment you will ever make.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Spitfun,
I agree with Mark 100%. I have completely WOPL'd (3) 700b's myself and they are second to none. Hexis 22's work speaks for itself.....first class artwork ! We have many talented builders on this site. As Mark stated above, the fully WOPL'd PL amplifiers are heirloom quality.
"Best investment you will ever make"

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Spit, Hexis is a new addition, but hes not new to this type of work. Hes a fuckin artist with wire and solder. Seriously consider the man, there are no better that we've seen and that includes Gepetto....never thought I would EVER say that.