PL 4000 yay or nay....

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
If it isn't broke, fix it until it is.
I see a lot of folks on here run like hell from the first gen PL 4000 preamp..... What is the problem with them?

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
If it isn't broke, fix it until it is.
Lol! That bad, huh?

There is one in a package deal, with a PL 700B, for around $800, so just wondering if it's worth it.

pennysdad

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I've totally lost the plot....
Lol! That bad, huh?

There is one in a package deal, with a PL 700B, for around $800, so just wondering if it's worth it.
Think about how much extra you may, [or may not], have to spend in the future to have to do the necessary upgrades to bring all the components up to scratch. Some caps will definitely need to be done.
Vintage gear always needs a good going through.
If you have really good speakers are you prepared to take the chance of not doing the work?
The 700B's are awesome, but can be so dangerous. When they go, you can kiss anything hooked up to it, goodbye...
Is it negotiable? Has any work been done?
Maybe someone here could offer you something for a comparable price and all the work already done!
Anyone?
Good luck though with whatever you decide. If you get them, you can always get help here.

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
I was lucky with my 4000 Series Two. No problems until the last year- left channel cuts out with Autocorrelator engaged.
Bought a Carver C1, works marvelously well despite being pre- BillD upgrades. Funny thing- on one LP I played, vocals seemed to disappear with Sonic Holography engaged. Weird…

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I was lucky with my 4000 Series Two. No problems until the last year- left channel cuts out with Autocorrelator engaged.
Bought a Carver C1, works marvelously well despite being pre- BillD upgrades. Funny thing- on one LP I played, vocals seemed to disappear with Sonic Holography engaged. Weird…
The smoke and mirrors stuff Mark...