PL 300 S2

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Yup, Al. 19th week. I checked the length of all case screws. No shorties. So evidently pierced at birth.
Repair tag inside from AnaLLogiQue. Repair shop in NYC from my search. I suppose "Nick" could have screwed the pooch 09/26/86. But, all screws look original and long.
Guy I bought it from said it would start to "cut out" until he rapped on the chassis. Think we've solved that issue! I like the double sided tape better!

Attachments

George S.

The speaker protection relay board. Three electrolytics on it. One on each amp module, then the storage caps. Seven total.
Overall, good shape.
While back I brought it up slow on the Variac and DBT, no excessive DC on the outputs, so I put it away for a while.
Now going to order caps and tomorrow I'll go over the modules with the DER EE and Sencore.

Attachments

George S.

I've destroyed a solenoid of a Luxman cassette deck the same way.
Yup, easy to do, especially when upgrading these old PL amps using the original chassis.
I'll fill those problem screw holes in the chassis by cross threading in another screw, cut it flush on both sides with a Dremel cutting wheel, then stake it with a center punch. The plug will never move.
Then drill new screw holes where appropriate. Had to do this on the 700 Pro I WOPL'ed using the original heavy steel chassis.

George S.

After some thought, I'll use the original screw holes, but space the caps away from the chassis wall with a piece of high density foam. Plenty of room to do so.

George S.

:) Ordered caps for it today. I'm thinking it'll drive two little tweeters quite well!
On down the road I might lose the ceramics. I do like how easy the modules are removed.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Agree Lee, I had a PL200 S2 for a while that I had to totally rebuild. Both boards were zorched. Once repaired it was a pleasing sounding amp
Stephen in Phoenix had a 300 running the mids and tweets in his Infinity 4.5's...and they sounded really good.

George S.

Got the new caps installed on the boards and all the old flux off and they look good. Found the left channel drivers and finals show signs of replacement or resoldering, guess that's why it went into the shop in 86.
Going to walk the dog, then cut the styrene foam to space out the storage caps so they never get "screwed" again.

Attachments

Last edited:

George S.

Cornell Dubilier storage caps, and the axial's for the relay board. Nichicon UKZ Muse for the lone radial, on the amp module.
The CDI storage caps are marked Mallory USA.
Adjusting the bias. Manual says .35 to .45 VDC. Shooting for the midpoint after amp temp stabilizes at idle.
Each module has two resistors that are test points. Leads go on each side of resistor and voltage drop is measured.
Also, each fuse was incorrect, tracked down the exact correct ones and installed them before bringing it up

Attachments

Last edited: