PL 200 series 2 Amplifier major rebuild

TomD

New Around These Parts
New to this forum,, thanks for letting me join. I recently bought a PL 200 Series II amplifier. It was listed in as is condition so I expected it to need work. It has been worked on previously as some of the output transistors have been changed as well as some of the internal wiring.

I disconnected the two amplifier boards and the good news is the power transformer is working and there is no rust or corrosion on the case. I've downloaded the service manual and reviewed the schematic and I've decided to replace the circuit boards with a design of my own. I'll reuse the heat sinks and power transformer and maybe the output relay, but everything else will be replaced. I've built a breadboard front end and driver stage and have started testing it. It uses a cascaded differential amplifier with a current source load front end and a CFP output stage. I'm not sure how much the supply rails will sag under load, but I expect at least 150 watts RMS out.

Has anyone modified a 200 series 2?

If so what did you do?

Thanks!

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Welcome Aboard TomD,
You are in the right place. Several members have experience with the 200 SII, hopefully they will weigh in soon.
Have a great weekend!

TomD

New Around These Parts
This is the breadboard schematic, still in work. So far I have just tested the DC operation and set the bias. breadboardSchematic.jpg

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Has anyone modified a 200 series 2?
I upgraded my PL200, one of my first "audiophile" amplifiers. I installed better rated capacitors in the Power Supply and replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on both channel circuit boards. It sounded good but I needed more power.
I searched for additional upgrades to improve the average performance on several forums but the PL200 series amplifiers did not have much of a following and upgrades were non-existent due to the basic design of the amplifier (entry level).

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I upgraded my PL200, one of my first "audiophile" amplifiers. I installed better rated capacitors in the Power Supply and replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on both channel circuit boards. It sounded good but I needed more power.
I searched for additional upgrades to improve the average performance on several forums but the PL200 series amplifiers did not have much of a following and upgrades were non-existent due to the basic design of the amplifier (entry level).
Yup, I got rid of mine as soon as I was introduced to the world of WOPL's. The 200 is weak and no amount of mods will help that. Oh, there is no 200 parts available from White Oak