Pioneer SX-1280

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
If it isn't broke, fix it until it is.
So, I have an opportunity to pick up a very nice Pioneer SX-1280, for $1,400.

All it needs is the toggle knobs, and it's cosmetically excellent. Seller claims it's fully functional as well.

What do you think?

I have pics of it, but for whatever reason I can't get pics to upload here....

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I like separates. If any part of it goes down, are you prepared to fix it or pay someone to fix it. Has it been recapped, aligned, etc, and by who. That's a lot of money. Needs toggle switches? Are NOS ones coming with it to be installed? No way, nope.

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Receivers don’t make sense to me anymore. Radio sucks, don’t want/need a tuner.
That’s PF’n expensive, too…

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
I like separates. If any part of it goes down, are you prepared to fix it or pay someone to fix it. Has it been recapped, aligned, etc, and by who. That's a lot of money. Needs toggle switches? Are NOS ones coming with it to be installed? No way, nope.
The toggle switches are fine, just the knob portion is missing. They just slide over the switch lever.

These things sell for $2,500+ quite often, which seems insane to me.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
A SX-1280 for $1400 USD is a good deal provided you can demo the receiver. I have an SX-1980 and the prices for those are astronomical, too. I don't think it would be much of an issue for you to locate replacement knobs. You should start sourcing them out.

9a884725-26cd-4504-b089-994c75ca8412_zpsrlrdgt2m.jpg

Nando.

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
A SX-1280 for $1400 USD is a good deal provided you can demo the receiver. I have an SX-1980 and the prices for those are astronomical, too. I don't think it would be much of an issue for you to locate replacement knobs. You should start sourcing them out.

View attachment 50384

Nando.
Ohhh man that's pretty!

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
There is very little knowledge/acceptance of many of the brands of vintage gear. Thls leaves the vintage hunter stuck with the 4 highly taxed brands, Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz and McIntosh. Once someone steps away from these brands the sound quality of the system might just skyrocket. But folks gotta have what others agree is the right thing to own. You will lose a lot of cred sporting a Monster receiver from Hitachi, Onkyo or Kenwood compared to those taxed brands.

But that is the market. Completely refreshed that SX could make some money.

Schmurpy

Journeyman
Tagline
There is very little knowledge/acceptance of many of the brands of vintage gear. Thls leaves the vintage hunter stuck with the 4 highly taxed brands, Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz and McIntosh. Once someone steps away from these brands the sound quality of the system might just skyrocket. But folks gotta have what others agree is the right thing to own. You will lose a lot of cred sporting a Monster receiver from Hitachi, Onkyo or Kenwood compared to those taxed brands.

But that is the market. Completely refreshed that SX could make some money.
Exactly. I just picked up an ultra rare MCS 3125, in pristine condition, for $100. These things were made by NEC, matsushita, technics, etc. It's capable of 200wpc.