Pioneer RT-2044

dr.bo

New Around These Parts
been awhile since I last posted. But I did manage to purchase a couple of reel decks: first is a near mint TEAC 3340s that I bought from Wooster Audio in Wooster Ohio; had been refurbed, and I was there for a college visit. It was so nice I couldn't resist. He also had a near mint Pioneer SX-1050 and a stack of blank cassette and reel tapes!

Then a Tapeheads member alerted me to a nearby Pioneer RT-2044; I picked it up and it is near mint. But it squeals in FF, and the heads are in rough shape.

I would love to refurbish it-can anybody tell me if it is doable?

Attachments

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
There were some NOS playback and record heads on E-bay last year for the 2044 headblock and the 2022 headblock. Bought some myself for spares. Goit the same deck myself. A very desireable deck and well worth the effort to either lap thge heads or find some new ones. Shouldn't be to hard to find.....

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Pics arent very clear, but if thats an open gap in pic 1 of the heads then its shot. Cant be lapped.

Last edited:

dr.bo

New Around These Parts
I don't think there is any gap, and I will try for better photos. But I didn't get any other head block. I plan on looking for another

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Better pics would definitely make it easier to assess the head condition. Cant really tell how wide the wear path is. Generally the width of the wear path will tell how worn they are.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That's one open-reel Pioneer deck I will eventually add to my vintage Pioneer system. You have been on a buying spree of late, Joel.

Nando.

dr.bo

New Around These Parts
Many of you know I am a doctor. For the last several years, my position has been under a cloud; due to many factors. On top of that was the expense of my divorce. Most of this has been settled so that my finances are a lot more stable. Also I have had a few people close to me come down with cancer and there is a bit of "Carpe Diem" in my mind. Plus, I have the college funds for the children pretty well firmed up. SO..........yes, I have been on a bit of a buying spree. In the last few months I purchased the 2044 ( thanks TH!), a TEAC 3340S, a Pioneer SX 1050 receiver, HPM 100s, a nice audio rack, a whole mess of blank cassettes.

And I am currently finalizing the purchase of a TEAC Z 7000 ( thanks TH!), a minty pair of Bose 901s with equalizer, and a couple DBX 200s. I am looking for another audio rack ( or two ), and some decent interconnect cables. And I may have to pay for rehab/refurbishment of the 2044. Just couldn't pass up on the prices, which were so low as to make me nervous about scams.