PIONEER CT-F650 GW Score...

Tagline
---
came by this, a 1979 "Floroscan" model, at my local GW yesterday.
don't really need it, what with the limited storage space left to me, but i just could not leave a reasonably decent vintage Pio deck on the shelf,
not for an early/mid-oughts Yard Sale price like $2.99. she cleaned up real well, so there is that too.

she's gonna need a new main drive belt; i'll have to see what i can dig out of my parts stash...

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Nice scroe! Brings back fond memories.

I once owned the amp and tuner from that product line - as the first stereo components I purchased for myself after my 1st Fisher tape deck.
The Fluoroscan meters on both pieces were bright-light-fright in a room I wanted to be dark during nick-nick time. Oh well...

:laughing8:

Last edited:

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
If you remember, post what you use for the idler tire.

I did the belts on one of those decks a while ago but the kit did not include the rubber idler. I soaked the old one in Rubber Re-Nue which did work but not permanently.

FWIW, McMaster Carr has a particular square profile O ring but I've yet to try one.

EDIT: Omitted the word NOT in above.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Mine slips when you start play as well, I had to press pause first and then play, let it build tension and then let it go.

This is okay when used with a timer...

I had mine in what I called the 'insane alarm clock' system with my little SX-400 and Numark equalizer.

I'm not totally sure if it's really a belt or a TIRE.

Still this is no slouch AT ALL. They were a great value then and still a kick in the heinie now.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Nice acquisition on the CT-F650. I've had mine going on 13 years. Bought it from the original owner. When I responded to the seller's ad, I was going to pick up an Akai GX-F31 deck and when he saw I was interested in Pioneer gear, he offered the CT-F650. I ended up getting both for $80. My CT-F650 has a custom wood case the seller made as he was a hobbyist wood worker.

Nando.

Tagline
---

the deck's main drive belt was gone, but the motor went through all the proper motions when FF/REW/PLAY was depressed, so that was encouraging.

i found a way to remove a couple screws in the right-hand side of the flywheel support frame below the main motor,
allowing me to pull it away enough to slip a replacement belt in there.

it wasn't easy, getting the belt around both the flywheel and motor pulley in that confined space,
but i eventually did, and... NO FUNCTION. no FF/REW/PLAY no nothing, the entire mechanism, suddenly DEAD.

not sure what i could have messed up, in this most minimally invasive of operations. i'm stumped...

62vauxhall

Tagline
I won't be able to do it until the weekend, but I can e-mail you scans of the 6 pages of instructions i received with the CT-F650 belt kit I got from WJOE Radio.

It was pretty concise about the dismantling procedure and re-assembly was was "reversing the steps". There might be something described that could clue you in on what's wrong.

PM me your e-mail address if you're interested and I'll try getting it to you on Saturday morning.

orange

Tagline
That would help here as well.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Here are the scans of those six pages of belt install instructions.

Damned if I know how to enlarge them.

EDIT: Open in a new window and zoom?

CTF650 belt install 1.jpg CTF650 belt install 2.jpg CTF650 belt install 3.jpg CTF650 belt install 4.jpg CTF650 belt install 5.jpg CTF650 belt install 6.jpg

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
I'll work on that later, thanks, should work.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
Piano key deck date them pretty fast as does the record play switch. The unit can be fixed but usually only by owners that can work on them as no one will pay the current labor rate to fix one of these. nakmandan did a CTF-700 for my shop a while ago. It might also have that Idler assembly in it that brakes apart- the fix for that is Mark the fixer that lives in my town. He was on AK. I think he is still fixing Pioneer receivers still. I don't see him very regularly. Dan yes, we had lunch the other day.
Slipping a belt past a thrust plate is never a good idea as the flywheel needs to be taken out cleaned and oiled. If you want to do an incomplete job like those local shops do then slip the belt on.