Pioneer 909 Capstain motor

VSAT88

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Like my BlueTooth ?
I have a friend who has a Pioneer 909 that needs a capstan motor. Anyone got one for sale ? Anyone here that rebuilds them ? anyone know how to source an aftermarket that will take its place ? Thanks Dudes !

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I recently had my RT-909 serviced. It had sat idle for about three years. The pinch rollers and capstan drive belt had to be replaced and the capstan motor had a dead spot, so it was replaced, too. The tech charged me $150 for the capstan motor, so that would seem a reasonable price. Be aware - the tech was using a 1996 PRB belt cross-reference book and there is a typo in the book. The correct capstan belt is a FR14.5, and not a FRX14.5. The incorrect belt is 2X the thickness, but correct circumference.

Nando.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
You can put a Tascam BR20 motor in the unit if the servo card is still good or can be repaired. I have put this into the X2000R deck and it worked well.
They do run about $150 but at least it is new and should last a longer time than the worn ones on E bay.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
The RT-707 is a direct drive motor that will never fit in a RT909. I told you the solution. You do not need a part number as these are irrelevant now.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
If you looked at the insides of the two machines they have drastically different designs and motor sizes. Motors should not get dead spots and for someone to say that it might be they don't know what they are talking about or just do not know how to fix the unit. The motors due to power foldback in the Pioneers do not burn up as they do in the Teac decks. Any X series motor of Teac if working should work but you need a good Pioneer servo card- they do the same thing but one is connector (Teac) and the Pioneer is wire wrap.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
This is another little known fact as Cliff would say. The Pioneer RT-909 power supply has a current limit circuit in it that if a part overloads that supply it will fold back and not keep on pumping current into the motor. This then makes it rather unusual to find a burned up motor in a Pioneer deck. I was sent a RT-909 that the customer told me the motor was bad as it had all this black powder inside that he cleaned out. If he was such an expert in these decks why didn't he fix it himself? Anyway when I check the motor there was nothing wrong with it and he had 500 ohm microswitches that only gave it 2 V to run on. It is best not to take the advice of a person when they can not fix the deck themselves.

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Sam is grumpy today! The simple stuff is often overlooked. Most amateurs believe the part that is bad is the part they least understand. I've always wondered why the motors last longer in Pioneer RT90x decks, and now I read the answer. I love these groups.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
I am grumpy as it is tax time. Do I need an excuse? The capstan motors can wear out in Pioneer decks but the most of the motor don't turn problem can be found at the power supply and if not that then the Microswitches that become resistive- the last bad motor I worked on only had 2 Vdc going to it and the 24Vdc supply was good. The switches measured 500 ohms each when closed. I change them out of past knowledge that they fail with time and the amount of current that goes through them. The switches were easy to obtain in the past either at Digikey or Mouser but it seems that both these suppliers have dropped the ball and have none in stock- more Covid excuse time. I really do not want to hear it! I have plenty in stock but for you others that do not this then makes the problem even worse. Well I went to Newark (Element 14) and they have them there. My Mouser order are taking too long when measured against the past. They are going to be notified that they are about to lose a customer. If my $300 order don't interest them, then I will buy somewhere that is well run. They should get those freaken masks off and get to work as if you take a week or more to send my order you might find that order cancelled. Want to know why I am grumpy? No 3300uFd 25V caps in stock and Mouser is not helping at all.
In the RT-909 the two things you stock besides all kinds of caps is the 25V Zener diode and the microswitches. The 400V transistors are not easy to find either. These are the two that run the motors 2SD2535 I think they are.