speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I figured out I got a Stanton 500 with a spherical needle from you. Gotta find an new elliptical needle now.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I think my ole man had one of these back then. Also had an XV-15. Old Girard TT with the changer spindle you could replace the normal one with (egads... remember the 2nd LP smackin' down on the first one with a "screech"??)

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
Larry, avoid the aftermarket stylus on these, the JICO's are ok but the Pfanstiehl copies, they are no were near the stylus. I bought these up a few years ago when NOS was selling for around $100, the price has gone stupid since.

Ed, some of you may know, was a National Salesman for Pickering/Stanton and is a wealth of good information when it comes to these cartridges.

Here is a link to a couple of his posts, you will need to scroll down to read it all.

http://www.sound-thinking.org/index.php?showtopic=1226&hl=pickering

Jim

Last edited:

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
Last edited:

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
An original Pickering stylus should have a crimp like in the top part of the stem that goes into the cartridge body and you should see a wire soldered to that stem from the inside. I have quit following them as the price has gone to high to me for what you are getting, even with a new old stock you run the risk that the cantilever has gotten old and weak. I have a JICO replacement stylus and it is the closest I have found. I do still have one more NOS Pickering put away from about 3 years ago, run a completed auctions and you can see what they have been selling for.

Jim

Fairchild

Tagline
It's Beer Season!
It looks like he has been trying to sell that one for while.

There was an original XSV-5000 NOS that sold for $129.99 plus $5.50 shipping that would have been a good buy.

A lot of times the best buys on used ones are attached to a TT, make the buy, if the TT is still in decent shape after shipping you can flip it to get some of the money back.

Jim

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I use a Pickering XSV/4000 on my Pioneer PL-630 turntable. It's a very competent cartridge and it is a good match for my TT.

Nando.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
I just gotta luv that Pickering brush sticking out there like that... all excellent build quality and whatnot. Yeah, definitely reminds me of the old man's stereo he had back in Morocco in the early-mid 70's.