Phase Linear P3600 preamp

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
Bikes, baseball and big amps.
Opps, I did it again. I purchased a new in the box P3600 preamp. Waiting for it to arrive/survive shipping. There really aren't many threads on the internet regarding this preamp, but the ones that exist seem to like it. Any observations from the peanut gallery? I'll be able to compare it to the 2 PL3000's I have. I'm wondering if it will need a recap, even though it has never or almost never been run?

pl3600 in box.jpg pl3600 box.jpg

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I wouldn't plug it in until its recapped. Those caps are appx 40 years old.
Careful with it's internal ribbon cable. Think it was Lee who said it degrades with time.
There's a thread here somewhere about replacing it with a flat computer cable

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
see attached. If there is a P/L manual I most likely have it. The later stuff is bare minimum, but has specs and drawings. No B.O.M. People who download agree not to throw it up on EBAY. That's lame.

Don't slam it on the first time. Use the light bulb test set with the smallest incandescent bulb you can find.

Attachments

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
see attached. If there is a P/L manual I most likely have it. The later stuff is bare minimum, but has specs and drawings. No B.O.M. People who download agree not to throw it up on EBAY. That's lame.

Don't slam it on the first time. Use the light bulb test set with the smallest incandescent bulb you can find.
Thank you sir!

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Sunbobb, I like the plug-in voltmeter for the test set. Where did that come from? I had that desoldering tool for a week or so, and ended up returning it, although I don’t recall why. Then I went off the deep end and bought the Hako desoldering tool, and I’ve been very pleased with it.
Looks like you bought a switched outlet for the test set and added a duplex outlet. I like that idea too.

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
Sunbobb, I like the plug-in voltmeter for the test set. Where did that come from? I had that desoldering tool for a week or so, and ended up returning it, although I don’t recall why. Then I went off the deep end and bought the Hako desoldering tool, and I’ve been very pleased with it.
Looks like you bought a switched outlet for the test set and added a duplex outlet. I like that idea too.
Thanks bud. The voltmeter was like $11 on ebay. :) So far so good with the Yihua desolder gun. I found the trick is to let it heat up real well and draw the old solder in while poking it with a supplied wire. After that, it seems to be OK. I haven't used the Hako, but I hear they are great.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The 3600 and 3900 had really good phono sections....don't mess with those. Yes the ribbon cable can be a bitch..