Phase Linear P3600 preamp

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
Bikes, baseball and big amps.
Opps, I did it again. I purchased a new in the box P3600 preamp. Waiting for it to arrive/survive shipping. There really aren't many threads on the internet regarding this preamp, but the ones that exist seem to like it. Any observations from the peanut gallery? I'll be able to compare it to the 2 PL3000's I have. I'm wondering if it will need a recap, even though it has never or almost never been run?

pl3600 in box.jpg pl3600 box.jpg

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I wouldn't plug it in until its recapped. Those caps are appx 40 years old.
Careful with it's internal ribbon cable. Think it was Lee who said it degrades with time.
There's a thread here somewhere about replacing it with a flat computer cable

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
see attached. If there is a P/L manual I most likely have it. The later stuff is bare minimum, but has specs and drawings. No B.O.M. People who download agree not to throw it up on EBAY. That's lame.

Don't slam it on the first time. Use the light bulb test set with the smallest incandescent bulb you can find.

Attachments

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
see attached. If there is a P/L manual I most likely have it. The later stuff is bare minimum, but has specs and drawings. No B.O.M. People who download agree not to throw it up on EBAY. That's lame.

Don't slam it on the first time. Use the light bulb test set with the smallest incandescent bulb you can find.
Thank you sir!

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Sunbobb, I like the plug-in voltmeter for the test set. Where did that come from? I had that desoldering tool for a week or so, and ended up returning it, although I don’t recall why. Then I went off the deep end and bought the Hako desoldering tool, and I’ve been very pleased with it.
Looks like you bought a switched outlet for the test set and added a duplex outlet. I like that idea too.

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
Sunbobb, I like the plug-in voltmeter for the test set. Where did that come from? I had that desoldering tool for a week or so, and ended up returning it, although I don’t recall why. Then I went off the deep end and bought the Hako desoldering tool, and I’ve been very pleased with it.
Looks like you bought a switched outlet for the test set and added a duplex outlet. I like that idea too.
Thanks bud. The voltmeter was like $11 on ebay. :) So far so good with the Yihua desolder gun. I found the trick is to let it heat up real well and draw the old solder in while poking it with a supplied wire. After that, it seems to be OK. I haven't used the Hako, but I hear they are great.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
The 3600 and 3900 had really good phono sections....don't mess with those. Yes the ribbon cable can be a bitch..

Tagline
The P3600 arrived this morning. It was the best packing job I've ever seen. A heavy duty box containing the original Phase Linear box. Advertised as "Open box new unit", I was skeptical until I opened the box. To my amazement, there it was, just as it was packed in 1982. If it were a baseball card, it would be graded a Gem Mint. I took a look at the jacks to look for telltales signs of ever being used. There were none. The User manual, warrantee card, the "Guide to trouble shooting your stereo units", and even a safety card, were perfect and still in original packaging. I sat back with a cup of coffee and dwelt on owning a brand new never used Phase Linear unit, contemplating 42 years ago, somebody twisted a tie wrap around the power cord, and set it in the box.

I hooked it up to the DBT, a mini mp3player, and a set of headphones, hit the switch... and nothing. No DBT light at all, and dead silence. I started the MP3 player and out came sweet music into my headphones. I had preordered capacitors in anticipation of a recap, but decided to run it through the big system while waiting for the Mouser parts to get here.

I set it up with a PL400 Full WOPL amp, fed by a Pioneer Elite BDP-95FD DVD/CD player, running a pair of JBL L7's.

And... Wow, the system is mind blowing. My choice of "First Tune" was "Arriving Somewhere, but Not Here" by Porcupine Tree. My PL3000 Series 2 are good preamps, but the sound quality of the P3600 is clearly superior. The biggest difference I noticed was at lower volumes. At somewhat quiet listening levels, the P3600 filled out the JBL's nicely, almost like having the Loudness button on, but without the bloated unnatural sound of said effect. Full, clean, clear. The 2 PL3000s are headed to Ebay land!

At higher volumes, like, 11 O'clock on the volume knob, the control of the bass was tight, the tweeters sang without screaming or distortion. I could visualize damaging my hearing not realizing how loud I actually had it, clarity and power being superb. If I dare say, the preamp gives the system a sound somewhere between the warmth of a Marantz, and clinical cleanliness of a Mac. If I were to give a direct comparison, it sounds close to the SAE system I had as a younger fella.

My Citation 11 holds no candle to this preamp, and while the PL3000 is good sounding preamp, neither compare to the purity of this preamp. I can hardly wait to do the recap and run some vinyl through the reportedly excellent phono section of the preamp. After that, I'm going hookup the recapped PL1100 equalizer, and the rebuilt with caps and IC's PL1200 Real Time Analyzer. I'm still on the hunt for the original PL microphone for the RTA, but in the meantime, I can still watch the pretty bars race up and down with input from the preamp.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited: