Phase Linear (Magazine Reviews, Articles, Etc.)

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
(Phase Linear 700 Review) "Seven Hundred Watts RMS" Electronics Today International September 1972
see pages 56-59

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Electronics-Today/70s/Electronics-Today-1972-09.pdf

You might also want to take a look at:
Damping Factor – just a sales gimmick?, Effect of amplifier output impedance on loudspeaker performance Electronics Today International see pgs 52-54

NOTE: This issue was just loaded today on americanradiohistory's web site.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
(Phase Linear 700 Review) "Seven Hundred Watts RMS" Electronics Today International September 1972 see pages 56-59

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Electronics-Today/70s/Electronics-Today-1972-09.pdf

NOTE: This issue was just loaded today on americanradiohistory's web site.
Just some memorable quotes from the above British reference to the PL700:
"It is in fact a precise instrument - and really too good for hi-fi applications."
"The (test results) can only be described as explosive. Ten feet away, the average sound pressure level exceeded 108 db, with peaks over 116 db. The level was literally deafening, and in fact our ears were unable to evaluate the quality of reproduction. Only by using ear plugs could any degree of pleasure be obtained."
"Even with very low efficiency speakers, the sound levels that could be obtained were awe inspiring. Remember that peaks of 116 db correspond to 100 times the sound level of a full symphony orchestra with all members playing flat out."
"If the Phase Linear sales people are serious we must only assume that as far as amplifiers are concerned, some Americans have gone totally power mad; and this device is the latest manifestation of their mania."
"The best way to describe the Phase Linear 700 amplifier is that it is a precision instrument capable of many scientific and industrial uses, but promoted and priced so that a deaf audiophile with a pair of Bose speakers would consider it a bargain."

Love the British.

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Ed Hart (Phase Linear President & former JBL Vice President of Marketing)

"
I just received a reply this morning to a message I sent to Mr. Stravitz 2 years ago. Mr. Stravitz is a friend of Ed Hart's. He stated that Mr. Hart is currently in hospice care. Ed would be approximately 88 or 89 years old now. I only wish I had been contacted sooner so that I could have talked to Mr Hart about some Phase Linear history.

Ed

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
I just want to say thank to everyone who contributes to this forum, especially Ed [oldphaser]. So much interesting reading .

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Electronics Today International (Australia) August 1975 Phase Linear 4000 "Autocorrelator Preamplifier". pg 59
NOTE: The UK version of this article appeared in November 1975

NOTE: Electronics Today International (Australia) was first started in Australia in 1971 and then in the UK in 1972. There were in all Australian, UK, German, Netherlands, Canadian and Indonesian editions.

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Electronics-Today/Australia/70s/ETI-1975-08.pdf

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
BAS Speaker Vol. 39 No. 3 Fall 2017 "November 2014 meeting - BAS Amplifier Test Clinic" pgs 9-19
(Power Cube results with comments from Tomlinson Holman and Bob Carver)

Attachments